Installing American Retro 15 inch Steering wheel

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

mccsix

Installing American Retro 15 inch Steering wheel

Post by mccsix »

Got my new 15" wheel but no instructions how to separate horn ring from the wheel to install it. I can force them apart but afraid I'll crack the horn ring. There are no directions with it, no screws in sight and reasonable pulling effort doesn't work. I've got the big boppers ready to separate them hoping for some help here.
IMG_0779 (3).JPG
Joe Johnston

Re: Installing American Retro 15 inch Steering wheel

Post by Joe Johnston »

MODERATOR NOTE
Since the prior posts were dated in 2016, I thought a new thread should be started.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
seany-boy

Post by seany-boy »

isn't it just a anti-clockwise twist of the horn ring to pop it off? Maybe misunderstanding your problem here, maybe a photo?
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Push down on the center of the ring, turn counter clock wise. Remember to disconnect battery first.

It is my understanding that the serrations on the wheel do not match the shaft so you have to fix that before installing. Maybe not on all the the smaller wheels ???? Check with the seller to see if it has to be modified.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

mccsix wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:08 am Got my new 15" wheel but no instructions how to separate horn ring from the wheel to install it. I can force them apart but afraid I'll crack the horn ring. There are no directions with it, no screws in sight and reasonable pulling effort doesn't work. I've got the big boppers ready to separate them hoping for some help here.IMG_0779 (3).JPG
If you are still working on it, this may be helpful to you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3f9a36fvu3bgi ... d.pdf?dl=0
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

I was wondering if the smaller retro wheels sold by the Tbird suppliers have the alignment notch in the splines that mates up to the same alignment notch/splines on the upper steering shaft. If not, could that be why some people have complained about fitment issues?
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

55blacktie wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:29 am I was wondering if the smaller retro wheels sold by the Tbird suppliers have the alignment notch in the splines that mates up to the same alignment notch/splines on the upper steering shaft. If not, could that be why some people have complained about fitment issues?
No, they do not. I first filed the new wheel to create such a notch but it was still way too tight. I had to file all of the wheels splines down to a slightly small ID to finally get it to fit.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Thanks, Jim.

I bought a steering-wheel adapter that's specifically for 55-57 Tbirds, but it doesn't have the alignment notch. The splines otherwise seem to match up, but I've not yet attempted to install it. I don't want to damage the splines on the upper shaft by forcing the adapter on.
BJRVentport2

Post by BJRVentport2 »

I was at an indoor car show and one of the vendors had a small T-Bird steering wheel hanging on a display. I asked about it thinking I could save shipping buying it from him at the show. He told me they were splined for a standard GM tilt column that all the street rodders and aftermarket columns use. I wonder if that is why they don't fit our Birds?
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

It doesn't make sense that they would market a Tbird wheel with a GM hub. Maybe the guy didn't know what he was talking about. If it's the same wheel that's sold by Tbird suppliers, I would chalk it up to manufacturing tolerances/quality control (or lack thereof). Maybe someone should tell them that they're not "One size fits all." :smile:
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

My understanding (and maybe I'm wrong) that the installation problems was the result of incorrect splines in the hub. Specifically, it was not "keyed" like the factory wheel. I don't know if this is still the case.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

paul2748 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:13 pm My understanding (and maybe I'm wrong) that the installation problems was the result of incorrect splines in the hub. Specifically, it was not "keyed" like the factory wheel. I don't know if this is still the case.
It's not keyed but it also is just a little bit too small an inner diameter of the splines on the wheel hub. I'm doubtful it's a GM hub since all the Ford parts otherwise fit it, like the horn mounting stuff. But in any case, it's only off by a tiny amount which can be fixed with a "v" file to open up the ID and to file down the one "spline rib" which shouldn't be there at all. There are other issues with it too that make it very hard to get the horn ring on and off. That too can be fixed.
BJRVentport2

Post by BJRVentport2 »

It would be nice to hear from the original poster on how the install went, what issues he had and how he fixed them.