Thunderbird Scoop Magazine Past Article Access/Online Index

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

Alan H. Tast

Thunderbird Scoop Magazine Past Article Access/Online Index

Post by Alan H. Tast »

(This is copied from another thread)
Post by Alan H. Tast » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:17 am

claybreaker 144 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:34 am
Alan,
Good job on bringing (the thread on '62-'63 M-series carburetors) into your Nov/Dec Scoop article "1962-1963 M Series Holley Carburetors." Incredible depth and detail in the article which has me thinking what other topics have been covered in years passed prior to my subscription. Is there an searchable index for Scoops and an ability to purchase past issues?
Right now there is no online or printed index of past technical articles. I can say I have been working on an index of past tech articles, but I currently do not have it set up to a point where it can be released to members, preferably via the Club's website. I am hoping that I can find some time this winter to fill in gaps I have in my database to the point that we can have copies available for members, but then again there's someone else in my house expecting me to tackle 'honey-dos' as a higher priority.

At the VTCI International Convention's Board of Directors meeting this past August I did propose that we set up a downloadable index of tech articles going back to the Club's beginnings in the late 1960s, along with assembling a collection of articles/back issues into a format which can be sold and distributed through the VTCI's Country Store. I suggested PDFs loaded onto flash drives like other clubs currently do, but I only started looking into this just prior to this years Board meeting. The Board wants more information from me (i.e. a proposal including costs of assembling and packaging an archival collection in electronic format) before moving forward with this. Generating PDF files of over 50 years' worth of magazines and newsletters in a suitable format is one step we've been working on behind the scenes, but as with all volunteer-driven projects this has not progressed very far since early summer 2022.

I'm not really educated enough yet to know what is needed to produce such a collection on a flash drive or other form of electronic media that can be sold to members. I really need to speak or communicate with other clubs that have done this to learn what they've done (I know the Ford Early V8 Club of America, Crown Victoria Association and others have), and I would appreciate leads or contact information with other clubs that do offer their archival copies on CD-ROM, flash drives, etc. If anyone has suggestions of places or people to contact for bulk copying files onto electronic media or software for generation of archival compilations (preferably freeware) , please PM me directly. Please also bear in mind that I do not have the luxury of being retired (I have a full-time architectural career which has to come first to pay the bills) and have very little free time to do all this after my other obligations, familial and personal, have been met.

As for back issues, VTCI keeps its printing amounts for each issue very tight in order to control costs. I don't know what the Publications Director has for back issues - I suggest contacting her directly (go to http://vintagethunderbirdclub.net/addresses.htm for list of officers and contact information) to find out what and/or if any are available.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Randy Mattson

Re: Thunderbird Scoop Magazine Past Article Access/Online Index

Post by Randy Mattson »

Alan, I can't help with digitizing but I do have many back issues of the Scoop going back to 1989(?) Whoever wants to take this project on is welcome to them.
Randy
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin
Alan H. Tast

Re: Thunderbird Scoop Magazine Past Article Access/Online Index

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Randy Mattson wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:18 am Alan, I can't help with digitizing but I do have many back issues of the Scoop going back to 1989(?) Whoever wants to take this project on is welcome to them.
Randy
Randy: Contact North Central Regional Director Larry Graham directly about the Scoop digitizing project. He's been borrowing copies from Tim Pundt. I'm not sure where he's at with the process right now - I suspect once the holidays are over he'll be stepping up his efforts again - same with me and getting the index compiled.

I'm also still needing to get contacts and feedback from other clubs as to how they've handled digitizing their old magazines/publications, producing and offering them to their members. I am seeing that another club I belong to for 1954-1956 Fords is now offering their back issues on flash/thumb drives (they had previously relied on CD-ROMs).
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster