1964 bird transmission

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Billekid

1964 bird transmission

Post by Billekid »

Hello everyone. I have a stock 64 thunderbird, I am currently doing body repair and went a little overboard buying parts. (Pro flo4, ridetech suspension, etc) I was going to have the heads redone, fresh valve seats, and anything else recommended, but I thought maybe I should switch gears, go edlebrock heads, a comp cam... im not looking to make huge power but closer to 400 would be good. Anyway, that leads me to the cruiseomatic. I have been reading about changing the COM for a c6, changing engine mounts, moving the cross member back, some people say shorter drive shaft, she say it works, aside from kickdown, shift patterns, what would be a good donor trans. I been reading about 66 dual range on the 66. I found a c6 from a 67 428 bird (mine is a 390) will this be a good candidate? I was reading further that flexplate may be wrong and I dont want to buy a donor, have it rebuilt, only to find out I wasted that time and money for it to not work out. I feel more lost than when I started reading. Mine is a stock 64 390 com. Thanks for any help anyone may have on this heavily discussed topic
1964 thunderbird currently under major changes
Alan H. Tast

Re: 1964 bird transmission

Post by Alan H. Tast »

This really needs to be moved to the "Modified" forum - if you use the "Search" function with a few well-chosen key words you should find several threads on the topic of transmission swaps from the MX to C6.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Billekid

Re: 1964 bird transmission

Post by Billekid »

My apologies with the wrong section. I'll try to adjust accordingly. New to forums
1964 thunderbird currently under major changes