rebuild or replace

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Sierra John

rebuild or replace

Post by Sierra John »

My brake pedal is soft and sinks almost all the way to the floor. I'm thinking the master cylinder is the problem. Also, brake fluid is leaking from under the rim of the reservoir cap. I just had the rear end refreshed (new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, etc.)--don't know if that's related or not. I've read some negative things about the quality of new master cylinders. Would you replace the unit or buy a rebuild kit? What's your opinion?
1966 Town Hardtop
Alan H. Tast

Re: rebuild or replace

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Go one step further: Send an original out to be bored-sleeved back to OEM specs and rebuild. I've done that with several master cylinders and will do same for wheel cylinders. Search old posts for resleeved MCs.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

Try bleeding the brakes and see if that improves the pedal action. And check to make sure the cap on the reservoir is sealing; under normal operation, brake fluid surges back into the reservoir and if it is leaking out of the cap, the seal is probably bad or the cap isn't tight.
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
Sierra John

Post by Sierra John »

Thanks for the replies. I put a new gasket under the reservoir lid. It made no difference. The brakes got bled a week or so ago when I had new rear brake cylinders installed.
1966 Town Hardtop