Neutral safety switch 64

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

CM II

Neutral safety switch 64

Post by CM II »

I have struggled with the NSS switch on my 64 for long enough. I replaced it with a new switch and things are not any better.  
My steering column is rebuilt with a new bushing and the indicator is in the correct position. The detent plate is new and the linkage is secure at the trans.

Pushing the gear selector all the way to the left so I can swing the steering wheel causes the switch to stick and the car wont start. When the switch is not stuck I cant get it to start in neutral or park but not both.

The vacuum release for the parking brake leaks so bad I had to bypass it. I took the new switch apart and there is no gasket or anything to help it seal.

Is there a better part available?
64 Landau, wimbledon white / turquoise.
The journey continues.
jtschug

Re: Neutral safety switch 64

Post by jtschug »

NOS

Grease is basically what seals it.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
CM II

Post by CM II »

Thanks!
64 Landau, wimbledon white / turquoise.
The journey continues.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

The new neutral safety switches are basically rubbish. I bought a new one and it fell apart in my mechanics hand. He used the old and new one to get mine working. Look through eBay find a nos one for either a Tbird or Lincoln, I think they are the same. If you have the manual it will give you the process to get it working correctly.
Kwein2165

Post by Kwein2165 »

Is there a trick to removing the top screw on the neutral safety switch. I can't reach it with anything? The spring came out. I jumped it for now but want to replace it. Thanks.
Sierra John

Post by Sierra John »

There's no trick to removing the screw, but it is a pain trying to reach it. I found out on mine that one side had a screw and one had a hex nut (probably whatever the previous owner had on hand). I just kept going at it with mini wrenches and mini sockets (5/16) and finally got it.

Good luck.
1966 Town Hardtop
Kwein2165

Post by Kwein2165 »

Is there a way to bypass the switch to get the backup lights to work?
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

No, maybe you could put a C6 style switch from a newer Ford on it, but I don’t know
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA