Speedometer light

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

RegM 56 T-Bird

Speedometer light

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

I had my 56 Baby Bird out for a drive yesterday evening and this was the first time I drove it after dark and I discovered that there is no illumination light for the speedometer. I'm thinking the problem is probably a burnt out bulb but, since I am 74 years old and not as agile as I once was, I would ask if anyone else has had this problem before I attempt the Houdini act I am sure will be necessary to fix this problem.
55Greg&Amy

Re: Speedometer light

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

I don’t think there is a light in the speedometer. The only bulbs I remember are the high beam indicator (red light), and the odometer numbers. The gauge cluster is called an astra-dial and the speedometer numbers are iridescent which sort of glow when the outside ambient light shines through.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
Oiseau DeTonnere

Post by Oiseau DeTonnere »

Dunno for the 55's-56's, but I would be surprised that a non-illuminated speedometer would have been street legal even back then? In any case the '57's have two incandescent lamps to light the speedo dial.

If the dash lights aren't working oftentimes it's the headlight switch (same 56 and 57) with its rheostat dimmer that is malfunctioning... There are a couple of posts on that in this forum. If I'm wrong and the 56's don't have an illuminated speedo, sorry for the incorrect opinion...
Black/red 1957 Thunderbird D-code
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

I spent most of yesterday working under the dash of my 55. When I converted it to 12v for my dad (years ago), I didn't get around to swapping the 6v dash bulbs for 12v. Even with the seat, soft top, and steering column removed, it's no fun working under the dash. Something as simple as changing a bulb can be quite a chore; hopefully you won't get tangled up in wire/pull something loose in the process.

The courtesy-light bulb in the bulb kit would fit in the socket but it would not turn and lock into place. I tried 2 other identical bulbs in the kit, but none worked. I ended up putting 6v bulb back in.

The bulbs that came in the kit are Wagner (made in China) and have a chrome finish, not brass like the 6v bulbs I removed. Concours has the brass bulbs, so I will include a courtesy-light bulb in my next order.

By the way, I have the 55-57 Ford reproduction electrical manual, but it's not what I would call easy reading. Gil Baumgartner pointed that out, particularly the starter switch. For that reason, he included a photo of the switch (same for all 3 years) and a description of which color wires go on which post and their function on Gil's Garage.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

According to Hill's, part # 13466-57 is the 12v bulb used for 56-57 high-beam indicator, instrument panel, oil pressure, generator, and turn signal indicator lights. Hopefully, by a process of "illumination," you will be able to locate which bulb needs to be replaced. I would start by looking for a dangling bulb. It doesn't take much to dislodge some of them.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I'll agree with that. I'm small but it seems every time I'm under the dash I knock something loose. Especially as those old wires are not that flexible.
VTCI # 13223
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Did you try turning the knob on the headlight switch slowly till you see the light brightness , Mine is sensitive. I slowly turn the knob on the headlights I can adjust the brightness on all the lights on my dash .
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

Yes there is an instrument bulb.

And yes your rheostat in headlights controls the amount of light on the dash. If it hasnt been worked in a long time it could take up to 20 twists left and right thought the full range to shake loose and make good connection.

I read that somewhere when I didn't have lights on the dash and it literally came on at turn 19. So don't give up.
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

klogsdonjr wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:48 am Yes there is an instrument bulb.

And yes your rheostat in headlights controls the amount of light on the dash. If it hasnt been worked in a long time it could take up to 20 twists left and right thought the full range to shake loose and make good connection.

I read that somewhere when I didn't have lights on the dash and it literally came on at turn 19. So don't give up.
If you want to use them at full brightness all the time you can solder a jumper across the dimmer part of the switch and not have the problem in the future.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Jimntempe wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:24 am

If you want to use them at full brightness all the time you can solder a jumper across the dimmer part of the switch and not have the problem in the future.
If you can get to the rheostat with a mirror a shot or two of PB Blaster will cut through the corrosion and prevent it in the future. Used it on mine and it still works great years later.
VTCI # 13223
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Jimntempe wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:24 am

If you can get to the rheostat with a mirror a shot or two of PB Blaster will cut through the corrosion and prevent it in the future. Used it on mine and it still works great years later.
VTCI # 13223
RegM 56 T-Bird

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

UPDATE: Well guys, I did some serious squirming but got up under that dash to the point where I had an excellent view of the rear area of the speedometer and I can categorically state that there is no illumination light for the speedometer on my 56. I can clearly see the high beam light as well as the gen and oil lights but no sign of a speedo light. My guess is the numbers on the speedo were probably luminous and the effect has faded away over time. I have a watch which had luminous dots where the numbers are and between 1995 when it was bought and a few years ago, they all faded away except the 12 o'clock one. At any rate, I won't be doing much night driving. I suppose one could have the numbers re-painted but not worth the trouble.
swatson999

Post by swatson999 »

Ford Parts Catalog shows

Instrument Panel bulb for Thunderbird, 56, as having an industry number 57, Ford part number B6A 13466-A.

Same for the Shop Manual.

It's there somewhere, you just haven't found it. :)
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Anyone got a photo of the back side of a '55-'56 Astra-Dial control head / instruent cluster assembly to show where the sockets are for the speedometer light? I know it's backlit on my '55 Fairlane Victoria. I suspect there's an illustration of the back side of the cluster assembly in the '55 Ford Shop Manual.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

RegM 56 T-Bird wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:32 pm I had my 56 Baby Bird out for a drive yesterday evening and this was the first time I drove it after dark and I discovered that there is no illumination light for the speedometer. I'm thinking the problem is probably a burnt out bulb but, since I am 74 years old and not as agile as I once was, I would ask if anyone else has had this problem before I attempt the Houdini act I am sure will be necessary to fix this problem.
On 55-56 birds you have 2 bulbs to illuminate the cluster for speedometer, temp gauge, fuel gauge and the odometer. these 2 bulbs do a good job of lighting up the cluster. They are a PIA to change. Located at each end of the odometer. Check page 19 on your electrical manual.

Other bulbs in the cluster are turn signals and gen and oil. Then tach and clock each have one.

For some reason I could not attach a photo. Not sure what’s up but I’ll try again later.
Got the photo added. This was taken in a dark garage. As you can see, plenty of light.
1AFE5908-7420-40D6-93B8-63236832EE6A.jpeg