Ignition Coil, Oil vs Epoxy?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Rt.146

Ignition Coil, Oil vs Epoxy?

Post by Rt.146 »

Coming out of the factory an oil filled coil is mounted horizontal in the engine bay with the +/- at the nine and three clock position, Ford's quality control was good enough that there were no leaks and enough oil was in the canister making them work as they should, even though it was and is, that these oil filled coils should be mounted vertically, the position in mounting becomes more evident with after market coils not so good quality control, I had bought a Standard brand oil filled coil lasted a couple of miles then went south, had it mounted horizontal. I replaced it with an PerTronix 1.5 ohm #40111, epoxy filled ignition coil, this coil can be mounted any way, upside down if one is so inclined it will not matter in it's function, I mounted it stock.
ELTBIRD

Re: Ignition Coil, Oil vs Epoxy?

Post by ELTBIRD »

So, I got home yesterday from a nice ride, pulled into the garage, turned off the key and the engine kept running. This never happened before. I turned the key to the start position and quickly returned to off. The engine stopped as usual. I opened the hood and there was this smelly oily crap all over the air compressor and dripping down. It appears to have come from what I beleive to be the original yellow top coil. It blew it's top. Could this have caused the engine run on? The coil was red hot and a boiling sound was coming from it. I disconnected the battery. I like to keep things original looking so I am looking to buy another yellow top. The epoxy one is tempting but I will only get one if the current yellow tops are not reliable. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

Also, my coil is mounted so the connections are on the passenger side. See pic. Another pic I saw here was the opposite (for coils mounted atop the compressor). Which is correct?
Attachments
20220702_192518.jpg
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

The coil I replaced was mounted on top of the compressor bracket, horizontally , I mounted the new coil same way, I believe this is the way they came out of the factory.
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

ELTBIRD wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:52 pm Also, my coil is mounted so the connections are on the passenger side. See pic. Another pic I saw here was the opposite (for coils mounted atop the compressor). Which is correct?
i believe that is the correct mounting position.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

My personal experience with Pertronix 'Flamethrower' coils has at best been mixed. I had one on my '63 mounted horizontal on top of the AC compressor that lasted about 2 years and crapped out on the way into a Goodguys show at the Kansas Speedway in 2007. I got a replacement one at the show and installed it in the same position - that one lasted about 5 years (2012) and again crapped out. I went back to the OEM mustard-top coil and no problems since, but then again that car hasn't been driven in 10 years. I had several posts about this experience, but the 'Search' function isn't finding them for me - for some reason it's only searching posts from 2022 instead of going back to 2003.

OEM mounting for the coil on a AC-equipped car is on top of the compressor, horizontal. A different coil bracket was used in '64, '65 and '66.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Alan, I'm not sure you are being fair to Pertronix. They sell both oil and epoxy filled coils (I believe always have). For as long back as I can remember, it was not recommended to mount oil-filled coils horizontally because they could never be filled 100%. Of course, Ford did whatever the hell they wanted, so people think horizontal oil-filled are ok. Perhaps in the day, oil-filled were in some way completely filled, but that sure isn't the case today.
If you used the incorrect coils when you replace them, it's not unheard of that they burned out.
In 65 I had a 62 Sports Roadster and went through 2 Ford coils in 1 summer.
Terry
64HT
Sierra John

Post by Sierra John »

I installed a Pertronix Flamethrower coil in 2013. I heard some talk about mounting the unit vertically, so I contacted the company. They wrote back and said,

“Coils should be mounted vertically whenever possible. This will help prevent leakage.
PerTronix Customer Service”

I took my original mount and made a couple of simple bends, then hung it over the side of the compressor. It’s been like that for nearly 10 years now.
Attachments
aaa.jpg
1966 Town Hardtop
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

I installed a Napa Echlin replacement today replacing the old yellow top that spewed out it's oil and was super hot. The engine kept running when I turned the key off at the same time so I was pretty sure the bad coil caused that to happen. Unfortunately the engine still keeps running when I turn the key off. Thoughts?
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Thoughts?
My thoughts are you are back-feeding the ignition circuit with 12 volts, which would keep the car running and smoke a stock coil at the same time. Keep looking! Good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

ignition switch i bet.
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

I am thinking ignition switch also. Cheap fix so I will change it out this week and get back. Thanks for all your feedback guys and happy 4th!
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

Ignition switch was it! All good. Now on to getting the horn working in my highway pilot steering wheel. I don't think Napa wilm have parts for that.
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Lightly Shaking the ignition coil one can feel the oil inside sloshing around, what would that tell you? Probably it was never filled properly or filled for vertical installation not horizontal. I would think no sloshing is best,