Tire an wheel sizes

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Jess/Joe

Tire an wheel sizes

Post by Jess/Joe »

New to the 1963 convertible, want some insight into new tires and wire wheel combinations, looking at Coker, what info do I need to have, before I buy, and what to buy at a reasonable price. I am 80 years old now, not much time left.
Do not want to invest a ton of money. Thanks
Also need a rear bumper, any help.
Ducksface

Re: Tire an wheel sizes

Post by Ducksface »

If it isn't finished to tip top show/trailered quality or you're not a fanatic about stock stuff, the Coker tires are an unneeded, very expensive, expense.

Any tire you want within the 8x14 range is fine for stock wheels.
If someone has put 15" wheels on your car then have the tire store adjust accordingly.

Honestly, any tire the tire store says fits and you like the looks will do just fine.

Post a picture or two of your car and we'll help you all we can.
Posting your location will help with the rear bumper find.
Depending on the condition of your 63 some of us might convey how much easier it is to buy a driver and just go enjoy it.
I bought a finished car to drive NOW because, indeed, time is short.
I am very proud to declare:
BOUGHT, NOT BUILT.
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... hp?t=19646
my build/rebuild/era-correct silly accessories/whine thread.
Member :duckie: :duckie: :duckie: #13109
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

I suggest you look a few post down from this one.
I think Jim’s answer is spot on.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

Agreed look at the posts on the second page by Alan. Finding whitewalls that fit your rims may not be difficult. There are a number of brands available as your larger tire installers. The white wall width may not be as exact as the originals in the 60s but it will be close.

If you are doing wire wheels the trickier part is the radial inner tube. Alan Tasts post series on that has some great suggestions for your tire installer. Need to remove any high spots and properly dust them so they dont rub and leak.

MN63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code