Tire PSI

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Richard

Tire PSI

Post by Richard »

Just had a new set of tires installed today. I got Cooper 215/75/15s with whitewalls.. The tire has maximum 35 PSI stamped on the tire and thats where it was filled to. The ride seems a little hard. What would be the best PSI to use? I was thinking 32 PSI does that seem right? Thanks for any advice..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
stubbie

Re: Tire PSI

Post by stubbie »

I usually run about 32psi
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

35psi here.
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic
redthundervert64

Post by redthundervert64 »

I have the exact same tires. When I had them installed they were inflated to 34 psi and I also felt that the ride was too hard compared to the previous tires. After trying different pressures I found that 32 psi gave what I thought was the best ride and road feel.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

When I had my 61 my car rode better at 32 psi with Coker tires...
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks for the reply's..I am going to bring PSI down to 32...
VTCI#12157
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Hi. Sorry about reviving the old thread, but I wanted to research about tire pressure on these cars, and I'm finding some useful info in the old threads. I took my '65 Landau out for a ride today and later realized that my passenger front tire was at an especially low pressure (has a slow leak.) I should've checked before driving. While driving around like that, however, I noticed that the ride was softer and had less suspension noise than usual. I didn't think much about it, but when I put more air in - close to max pressure at 44 psi all around - the ride got noticeably stiffer with more suspension noise. Wow. BTW, I've replaced many suspension components recently - front and rear springs and upper ball joints and many rubber bushings.

Anyway, I've seen some of the responses from several owners saying they like 32 psi on these cars. I think I'm going to try that all the way around. I believe I have Kumho radial tires in 215 75R15 size. I'll let you know what I think.

ALSO, what do you think is the best tire brand/model in terms of ride quality - softness and smoothness? I know the Kumho's aren't the world's greatest tire but they were on the car when I got it and had very few miles on them. I wouldn't mind springing for a better set of tires. High performance or original looking Coker type tires aren't a priority for me. Smoothness preferred. Thanks.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I have been happy with Cooper. Had them for 10 years and then put new Coopers on last year. They were the only ones that I could find that might be an American tire with a whitewall . Also remember you change tires on cars by how old they are not mileage. I only had about 13k miles before I changed them last year. They were $80 10 years ago and last year paid $110 a piece which is not a bad price..Seems like cheap insurance for a safe ride. Tried to talk a guy last year at our annual Tbird show on Long Island NY who had tires from about 1999 to get them changed. He wasnt going to listen..Even if you dont see cracks they still might not be good..Best of luck...
VTCI#12157
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

If you are getting suspension noise, when was the last time everything was greased?
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
66bird428

Post by 66bird428 »

Cooper no longer makes the whitewall 215 75 R15.
Any thoughts regarding the hankook kinergy ST?
Priced similar to the coopers. Half price to the Cokers.
Jeremy
Attachments
IMG_1568.png
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

This discussion about tire sources vs PSI is devolving into another topic that needs its own thread. I say that because there have been significant changes of late in availability of tire sizes which compare to OEM, especially if you're looking for a 14"- or 15"-diameter wheel size. Mr. Moderator, please split off the tire size/availability discussion so that more-focused Q&A can take place on tire manufacturers and availability.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
66bird428

Post by 66bird428 »

I started a new post for discussion