over speed at idle

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Royce Richmond

over speed at idle

Post by Royce Richmond »

Hi folks, I have a 59 coupe with a wierd problem. At idle it goes about 1500RPM but when taken out of park it almost stumbles to a stall. I have tried adjusting the carb and timing but with no results. i can turn in the mixture screws all the way shut with no effect on RPMs. I have a new carb on order but why does putting it in gear almost stalls it out? Any help is appreciated.
jtschug

Re: over speed at idle

Post by jtschug »

Back off on the idle set screw to get the RPMS down to 450-500 and add some fuel in the idle mixture screws until it stops stalling when you put it in gear.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

Royce Richmond wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:31 am Hi folks, I have a 59 coupe with a wierd problem. At idle it goes about 1500RPM but when taken out of park it almost stumbles to a stall. I have tried adjusting the carb and timing but with no results. i can turn in the mixture screws all the way shut with no effect on RPMs. I have a new carb on order but why does putting it in gear almost stalls it out? Any help is appreciated.
Does it have a vacuum emergency brake release? If you have that, when you take it out of part it operates a valve to send vacuum to the release vacuum motor. If that's not connected or the diaphragm leaks it like having a large vacuum leak. It might also be that the valve is leaking badly when it supposed to be closed and that's when you get the leak. IAC, if you have one, find the input vacuum line and cap it to see if that changes anything.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Jimntempe wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:57 pmDoes it have a vacuum emergency brake release? If you have that, when you take it out of part it operates a valve to send vacuum to the release vacuum motor. If that's not connected or the diaphragm leaks it like having a large vacuum leak. It might also be that the valve is leaking badly when it supposed to be closed and that's when you get the leak. IAC, if you have one, find the input vacuum line and cap it to see if that changes anything.
That didn't start until 1964. He has a '59. Vacuum connections for '59 are not as extensive as the '61-'63 and '64-later cars, but it does bring up a good point that checking the vacuum system (wipers & optional windshield washers, brake booster, etc.) for leaks is probably another set of items to track down.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster