Engine Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
MikeB

Engine Question

Post by MikeB »

Just recently under mild acceleration the engine in my 69 sounds like the valve train is knocking. This only started a couple weeks ago. it also only does it after it's up to operating temps. One other question. At cruise speeds the oil pressure reads between the o and I. Sitting at idle, it drops to barely in the normal range. Again, this is only when the car is at operating temps. Any ideas?
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Engine Question

Post by Terri McNeill »

Hi Mike,
I know nothing about the 67-69 Birds but this sounds like a engine problem that can happen with any car. If your oil pressure is radical and it sounds like it is knocking it probably is........I would check the oil for anything other than oil, if it is broke down with antifreeze or fuel. Because it takes a while for the oil to warm and get thinner is probably the reason it is doing it at operating temperatures.
Terri McNeill, Past VTCI President, currently VTCI Publications Director, Member of VTCI, VTCI-PNWC and Chicagoland Thunderbirds
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Terri, Thanks for the reply. I checked the oil, and it looks ans smells normal. I'm going to try changing my oil pressure sending unit and oil. I've been using Pennzoil 10w40. I plan on switching to Valvoline 10w40 for higher cars. My T-bird has 66,500 mles on it.
Mike B
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
MikeB

Engine Noises

Post by MikeB »

I believe I found the cure to my engine rattling at operating temps. Found the timing advanced (must have knocked the distributer during water pump change). I also found three plugs loose, and one wire that was barley conected to the plug. Now that I've adjusted the timing, changed plugs and wires, it runs a whole lot better.
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Engine Noises

Post by Terri McNeill »

AND it was still running after all of that!!! :shock: Aren't Thunderbirds great!!
Terri McNeill, Past VTCI President, currently VTCI Publications Director, Member of VTCI, VTCI-PNWC and Chicagoland Thunderbirds
MikeB

Another Problem

Post by MikeB »

I have found another problem that I can't figure out. When I stomp on the gas and open all four barrels, the car will keep accelerating when I let off the gas. It acts like the cruise is on even though it's not. If I tap the gas pedal and release it right away, the engine will throttle down. It then idels rough, almost like there is a big vacuum leak. When I shut the car off and restart, everything is back to normal. I've cleaned and lubed the linkages, checked for binding, but can't find anything wrong. What am I missing?
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door