Fuse for 100 Amp Alternator?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

doubleload

Fuse for 100 Amp Alternator?

Post by doubleload »

I’m replacing the generator in my 62 with a 100 amp alternator. While reviewing articles on one-wire alternator substitution, I’ve noticed a number of recommendations, without explanation, for installing fusible links and high amperage fuses in the alternator primary lead. I thought that I understood electrical basics but it would be interesting to know the particulars. The factory installations I’ve seen don’t use a fuse so why would it be necessary in this case.
Ohm’s Law states I=V/R , current(amps) = Voltage/Resistance. As long as the voltage from the new alternator is close to the voltage supplied by the generator there should be no major increase in the amperage. The new alternator will probably put out a slightly higher voltage but is it enough to require fusible links?
I’m leaning towards a “better safe than sorry” explanation that an alternator capable of putting out 100 amps would melt the wires in the harness quicker than a 35 amp generator if a short occurs and the original fuses don’t blow out.
Anyway, there’s a lot of great info about everything on the internet and a lot of unsubstantiated theories.