Strut rod bushings, can't get nut off

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Dunk67

Strut rod bushings, can't get nut off

Post by Dunk67 »

Any tips to remove the large front nut on the strut rod? I can't get mine to budge. Can't get an impact in there. First tried an adjustable wrench then a socket on a short breaker bar. Heat and PB... Won't move at all. Can't get a cheater pipe on it, and it doesn't help that rod moves around a bit since the bushings are falling apart, and will twist like a torsion bar.
jtschug

Re: Strut rod bushings, can't get nut off

Post by jtschug »

Did you get the pin out first?
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Dunk67

Post by Dunk67 »

Yes, cotter pin is removed. That was a bit of a pain with the limited access, but all of it is out.
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Once upon a time I had to remove the badly rusted nuts on my exhaust manifolds. I soaked them with PB and used a torque wrench to make sure I didn’t apply too much. Repeating this several times a day over several days did the trick. When I heard the first one squeak I knew I was making headway. The nuts were replaced with brass by the way. Not suggesting that for you. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
Dunk67

Post by Dunk67 »

I spritzed with PB for a couple days, then since the front is in the air I put a jack under the lower control arm to get a better angle on the strut rod nut, heated to very hot with MAPP, and was able to get one side off kicking a breaker bar (no room for a cheater pipe, close to ground). Now I've got the front suspension bits from that side all blasted, painted, and ready for reassembly... and on to the other side.