‘57 oil drain plug size and location?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

willcarter

‘57 oil drain plug size and location?

Post by willcarter »

Hi all,

Going to take my very first shot at changing my own oil this weekend. I got all my supplies, only to realize that I have no idea where the oil drain plug actually is! The owner’s manual and shop manual make no mention of this: they seem to proceed from the assumption that you just know where it is. Nor have I found any webpages, videos, etc., specifically identifying where the oil drain plug is. They too seem to just assume that you know where it is. Unfortunately, I do not.

For obvious reasons, I’m reticent to just start randomly unbolting stuff once I’m under there and hoping I “strike oil” (heh) by correctly guessing which one seems to be the most logical location for the oil drain plug to be. So: can someone help a newbie out and tell me where exactly the oil drain plug is and how to identify it? “It’s beneath the oil pan” wouldn’t be helpful; this will be the first time I’ve been under there (or any car, really), so I do not yet know where the oil pan is. Something like “it’s on the lower right front quadrant of the engine block and is shaped like X” would be much more helpful.

Thanks; and sorry for the newbie question!

Note: I am fairly confident that I can identify the oil filter, since it’ll be the crusty thing that’s the same shape and size as the replacement filter that I bought. :)
Last edited by willcarter on Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
289ace

Re: ‘57 oil drain plug location?

Post by 289ace »

Not sure if mine is original, but the drain plug on mine is at the rear of the sump (edge closest to the tranny) in the center and on the edge where the back and bottom of the sump meet.

I found a pic and hopefully can link it here. Its the big bolt in the center at the bottom. Just remember, once its out you will have oil flowing so get the drain pan positioned properly before removing the plug.

Last edited by 289ace on Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I'm pretty sure the oil pan drain is the same on my 56 as on the 57. Here's a picture of where it's located. The drain plug size is 1 1/4 inches.DO NOT USE A CRESCENT WRENCH. the plug is resses, you will hit the sides. Use a socket that fits. The PO had somebody use a crescent which created a hole trying to get the drain plug off.
Attachments
Drain Plug for T Bird.jpg
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Here's a picture of what will happen when using the crescent wrench tool. When I purchased the car I noticed this. Someone tried to repair the hole with epoxy. It took me 6 months to find another oil pan. I sanded the "new" oil pan and sprayed it to match the motor color. I was very pleased with the results.
Attachments
oil pan bottom 1.JPG
oil pan bottom 1.JPG (13.71 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
willcarter

Post by willcarter »

Thanks, all! This is perfect.

Question: can someone confirm whether the drain plug for the ‘57 is 1 1/4 inches or 1 1/8 inches? I had read that it’s 1 1/8, so that’s the size I bought. I’d have to go buy another if it’s 1 1/4 as Icon says it might be (acknowledging that the sizes could be different on the 56 v 57, of course).

And Icon, thanks for the heads-up re: taking care to avoid using a crescent wrench! The one I bought is a crescent on one end/ratchet hole on the other end. I do have a socket wrench set, but I don’t have a head for it that’s large enough (regardless of whether it’s 1 1/4 or 1 1/8). Guess I should pick one of those up.
willcarter

Post by willcarter »

Hi again,

Does anyone know for certain what the wrench size is for the drain plug on the ‘57? 1 1/4 inches or 1 1/8 inches?

Thanks!
ICON 1956

Re: ‘57 oil drain plug size and location?

Post by ICON 1956 »

ok here's the P/N for the 57 Engine oil drain Plug C3AZ 6730 here's the bolt size is -( 1 1/16") Hex Head. ( length 1/2 " )
Gasket P/N C2OZ 6734-A.
btw the Drain Plug was used through out 1950-1960
VTCI Member # 12309
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I've used a crescent wrench to undo my pan. Just have to be careful and pay attention to what your doing.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Paul 2748 , your an accomplish mechanic. Your skill set is high. I wanted to give the forum another option to not create a problem.
The PO had someone use a crescent wrench which damaged the oil pan then covered it up with epoxy. I saw what happened. I did not accept a patch job, I went and found one which I refurbished, sprayed to match the color of the engine block.
VTCI Member # 12309
willcarter

Post by willcarter »

Thanks, all! Once again, I really appreciate everyone’s responsiveness and patience with my questions.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Ask away we are here to help our members, Also our love for these beautiful cars.
VTCI Member # 12309
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I wish I could say that, but just an amateur who is extra careful when working on my car. That is why it takes me so long to do a job.
ICON 1956 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:39 pm Paul 2748 , your an accomplish mechanic. Your skill set is high. I wanted to give the forum another option to not create a problem.
The PO had someone use a crescent wrench which damaged the oil pan then covered it up with epoxy. I saw what happened. I did not accept a patch job, I went and found one which I refurbished, sprayed to match the color of the engine block.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
willcarter

Post by willcarter »

Ta-da: oil change complete! It took over two hours, but most of that was spent on jacking and re-jacking the car to get it in position, and then on getting the oil filter off. I bought a pair of the two-part 10 inch Race Ramps Wheel Cribs to use; although I had measured it beforehand, the maximum height of my jack ended up being just shy of high enough to get the 5 inch half of the cribs under the wheels. So, took it back down and pondered for a while; finally decided to use the other five inch half of one of the cribs on top of the jack in order to get the car up just enough to get the cribs under the tires.

A few other things for others’ future reference:

1. I bought an appropriately sized socket, but ended up not being able to use it: there wasn’t enough room between the oil pan drain plug and the part immediately adjacent to/behind it (sorry, I don’t know the name of that part) to get the socket in at the correct angle. Fortunately, I already had bought a combination crescent/ratchet wrench of the correct size and it worked perfectly. I was very careful, per the earlier advice from Icon 1956 and a separate dialogue with Mark R, to use light gradually increasing torque so that I wouldn’t end up banging the sides of the oil pan. That actually ended up not being a problem at all; didn’t take much force at all to release the drain plug and I then took it out the rest of the way by hand.

2. And I then immediately dropped the drain plug into the oil drain pan! :) I was wearing gloves, but man, that sucker is slippery! That plus the force of the oil when initially released pushed it right out of my fingers. No biggie; fished it back out, wiped it down, and proceeded.

3. The oil filter took a surprising amount of force to get off using the filter wrench. I don’t know how long it had been on there, but it didn’t look that old, so I’m guessing whoever did it last tightened the heck out of it. Anyway: eventually got it off and got the new one on, remembering to oil the gasket beforehand.

4. I added a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in place of one quart of oil. (I used Rotella 15-40 as others have suggested. Side note: MMO now has a “Classic Vintage Car Motor Oil w. ZDDP” product that I want to try out next time, so I ordered some. I’d be curious if anyone has experience with it.). I was aiming for a total of 5.5 quarts, as I’ve seen recommended when using a modern spin-on filter. I ran the car for a few minutes and checked the dipstick; it’s still reading a bit low even with the recommended 5.5 total quarts (it’s slightly less than halfway between “low” and “full”). But I’ll go back out later and check it out again once things have drained and settled.

All in all, a fun afternoon’s task changing the oil while listening to podcasts and sipping espresso! And I even got my 14 year old kid to hang out and help for part of it.

Again, I’m very appreciative of all the help!
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

Sounds experience building!

I too have found that my 56 takes more oil than 5 quarts. The dipstick reads low and I end up adding another quart to get it up to high. I'm very wary of running low on oil given the problems I've had with cam, rods, and valves.

Also I started out using rotella but now use Valvoline 10w30 for flat tappet engines, has high zinc in it.
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Who's oil you use is your preference. as long as the oil has high zinc in it.
VTCI Member # 12309