Individual Engine Number

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Peterperfect

Individual Engine Number

Post by Peterperfect »

I have to register my 62 Roadster in the UK & they want a Chassis number & an Engine number.
I know the Chassis number is located in the door opening data plate that matches the number stamped on the body by the hood latch.
But.....Is there an unique Engine number anywhere?
Thanks
Pete
62 Roadster
64 Convertible 'Roadster'
Alan H. Tast

Re: Individual Engine Number

Post by Alan H. Tast »

If you're looking for a serial or vehicle identification number on an original engine...forget it. Ford didn't stamp ID numbers into their engines until around 1968, and even then it was a partial VIN. The closest you can come to a 'unique' number would be the engine's assembly date, which is stamped into a flat spot on the side of the left/driver's side corner of the block below the front of the left/driver's side cylinder head. You'll have to scrape and rub the flat spot, which is on a projection that sticks out from the side of the block, to see the numbers, which may not be stamped very deep into the metal.

Information on its location and how to decode it are in VTCI's 1961-1963 Original Factory Specifications manual. If you go to the 'Search' bar at the upper right corner of this page and type in words like 'engine date code' you may find a previous message that covers this topic.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
stubbie

Re: Individual Engine Number

Post by stubbie »

Pretty sure we have the same requirement here. There are really no numbers so you could use the last numbers in your vin or break out the stamps and come up with your own engine number and stamp it on your block. It should be ok to do that as there aren't any numbers to start with, it's not like your changing anything. All your really doing is supplying a number in case it gets stolen.