generator to alternator swap

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

2021TRX

generator to alternator swap

Post by 2021TRX »

I have seen some earlier posts about this subject ( 2009 ). The contact info was outdated and no longer useful.

Does anyone on here have a good contact to purchase a complete conversion, Alternator and lower bracket.

1957 thunderbird 312
Joe Johnston

Re: generator to alternator swap

Post by Joe Johnston »

Many years ago I used a GM 3 wire alt for the conversion. Used the original generator mounting bracket with a spacer, fit perfectly. Then there were no "kits" or ways to make the GEN light in the dash function properly using a one wire alt. I've had no problems for decades. With an internally regulated alternator, I was able to eliminate the rats nest of wiring and voltage regulator on the passenger side inner fender, to really clean up the area. Many different styles of Ford or GM alternators will work perfectly. Use what you think is best.
Google is your friend.
Attachments
DSC01799.JPG
DSC01798.JPG
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Paul T. Amick

Post by Paul T. Amick »

Hi, I agree with Joe. I did the same as he did. I ordered a 72 Chev Nova Alt. Ya gotta spin it or clock it. (no big deal google it) That puts the plug facing you. I ordered PT2288 alt. plug and connected it so I had the gen. light. As long as your not trying to do this on the side of the road it goes pretty smooth. Take your time and ask when not sure.
fireman1986

Post by fireman1986 »

I believe got my info from yblockforever.com . I don't know how I found it, I just came upon it. It was step by step , and they had the part number to the alternator that was needed for the swap.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

CASCO (and I assume the other TBird parts people) have conversion kits.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Jeff_Lee

Post by Jeff_Lee »

Also look into the POWERMASTER PowerGEN alternators. They build a 12v high output 90A alternator in a package that looks like OEM generators, and they bolt up like originals.

Their website is : www.powermastermotorsports.com
If you click on the catalog tab, on Page 61 they show a direct bolt in, 90amp, unit for '55 to 63 TBirds. They also show 6V units for the '55-56.

I use one on the Y-Block I have in my '54 F-100. Works a treat and looks original. Needed it for the added load of an after market A/C. I left the regulator in place and dummied the wires so it looks like it still has the original charging system.

Cheers, Jeff
Jeff in Wellington, Florida (Palm Beach area) USA
'57 TBird Colonial White with Tuxedo interior 312 with Ford-O-Matic
'57 Triumph Thunderbird 6T (my British Thunderbird) 650cc
'54 F-100 Pickup with blueprinted 272 Y-Block
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Thanks, Jeff. I've been considering using the Powermaster alternator, but had reservations, due to their 140 amp, one-wire alternator having a short life. It was installed on my Mustang 5.0.

Speaking of retaining the voltage regulator, I had the instructions for that but somehow deleted them. I would appreciate a pm with instructions and photo, if possible, at your convenience.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I don't like to put anything that isn't stock on my cars that I can't get through a parts store.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

If you can get an original, rebuilt generator from your local parts store, I would pass; the quality of the rebuild would be questionable. If you insist on using the OEM generator, find a shop that has a reputation for doing quality work that backs its products.