New 1967 Tbird owner

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
SeaBee67Tbird

New 1967 Tbird owner

Post by SeaBee67Tbird »

I just bought a 67 Thunderbird Hardtop with 47k miles and a really great body and interior, I also have the original 1967 build sheet and owner's manual. I am looking for tips, advice, and help as I turn this into a restomod. I have already found a few items that I question so maybe someone can help. I will research and browse the forums and Google but I would rather speak to those with REAL experience. The build sheet says day 2 and month B so not sure of the exact build date.

1) The engine code is a Z (390) but the PO said it had a 428, how can I tell aside from the dowel trick? The build sheet Has a Z in section B and a 357 A in section F of the build sheet.
2) The engine has Cobra Lemans valve covers, the history is diluted so were these factory items?
3) what Trans do I have? The build/order sheet has a U for transmission in section B of the build sheet and a PGA K in section G of the build sheet.
4) What axle do I have? The build sheet says 7140A.
5) Who is the best trim restorer for these cars? I have all the trim most is dull but perfect the front hood lip trim has a few mild dents.
6) My bird is K paint code (night mist blue metallic). Who is the best supplier for this paint?

Thanks in advance for your help
stove

Re: New 1967 Tbird owner

Post by stove »

Heres a couple

February 2nd '67

1: Dowel trick it is, or pull engine and look for casting mark behind flex plate.
2: No
3: Who knows what you have? But the car would have come with a C6
6: if you want proper paint for this, you'd better do it quick, because the days of Single Stage AE are extremely
numbered, and pretty much already long gone with 99% of paint dealers. You will be forced into waterborne 2 stage. :roll: :pukeright:
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

1. 357A is a ID code for 390-4v 315hp Z-code engine. I had an article about the various engine ID codes for FE-series engines in the May-June 2020 issue of VTCI's Thunderbird Scoop magazine.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
stove

Post by stove »

Alan H. Tast wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:26 pm 1. 357A is a ID code for 390-4v 315hp Z-code engine. I had an article about the various engine ID codes for FE-series engines in the May-June 2020 issue of VTCI's Thunderbird Scoop magazine.
Indeed, and of course it was built with a 390.

However OP says that the selling party told him it had "428", thus meaning, if claim is true, that it has had an engine replacement, which would need to be verified or disproven by the "Dowel Trick". Another fairly sure-fire way OP could determine if engine is original (390), would be to inspect the block casting date code. This is not infallible, but could be pretty darn affirming, if the date "jives" with the build date (or does not).
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack