Replacing the belts on my 1979 bird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Zkerr01

Replacing the belts on my 1979 bird

Post by Zkerr01 »

This is my first ford car so I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Bought it a week ago it sat in a barn for 30 years but it was in great condition and I drove it on the trailer to take it home. (It wont start now just sounds like the starter is clicking) Its missing 2 of the belts and the 3rd one needs to be replaced, I'm just not sure where to start any and all tips would be welcome.
Alan H. Tast

Re: Replacing the belts on my 1979 bird

Post by Alan H. Tast »

:n00b:
You're dealing with pre-serpentine belt technology, i.e. one belt at a time. Various items have to be loosened enough to allow the belts to be pulled off and replaced, like the alternator, air conditioning compressor, idler pulley, air pump, power steering pump, etc. Some things will swivel off of a mounting bolt like the alternator, some may have slotted brackets and screws/bolts holding things in place like the air conditioner, and some may have a threaded stud/nut for adjustment like the power steering pump, and some of those attachment/adjustment points may be hard to see or under something. Study how the belts are placed on the pulley sheaves from back to front to see what the belts wrap around. And don't be afraid to ask your parts store counter person if they have a diagram or descriptions of the belts and what they go around.

It will take me some time after this weekend to find a diagram (IF I can find one) showing belt arrangements, but I do need to know the following:
1. Model year (1979)
2. Engine (302, 351C or 351W? 400 not offered in '79)
3. What accessories - A/C, power steering, smog pump, etc.

And, pictures are most helpful to see what you're dealing with. See the sticky on how to upload photos through the Forum.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Zkerr01

Post by Zkerr01 »

The engine is a 302, it does have ac, and power steering, I'm not sure but I do think it has a smog pump. I included a picture, I know it still needs to be cleaned up but I'm working on that. I appreciate the reply!
Picture of the motor
Picture of the motor
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

No diagrams for belts but do have a listing from the Ford Car 1973-1979 Master Parts Catalog for belts and dimensions for same used on a '79 T-bird with a 302. The Ford part number and Motorcraft Part numbers used in 1988 when the catalog was printed are shown. It's up to you now to cross these with replacement belts from your local auto parts store.
Attachments
1979 T-bird Fan Belt Applications
1979 T-bird Fan Belt Applications
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster