67 Lower Rad Support Rubber Baffles

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
455hota

67 Lower Rad Support Rubber Baffles

Post by 455hota »

I had removed my original 67 Tbird radiator and getting it re-cored. While it is out I plan to clean up and coat the lower rad cradle area. But I have some questions on the rubber air flaps/ baffles:
D980A9BB-DD8F-42DA-B494-8D8E31067EBE.jpeg
This pic shows the drivers side of the lower rad cradle area. You can see a triangular shaped rubber flap that is held in place with factory plastic push pins.
96282890-8971-4886-BB67-DD574AE9A924.jpeg
This pic shows the same area on the opposite passenger side. I do not have a corresponding triangular shaped rubber flap. I do see some holes that could be used to mount a triangular shaped rubber flap but I see no old plastic pins or evidence of a missing flap. Can some one confirm if this is correct based on their 67 Tbird with factory AC?

F4D81BD1-4CDB-4939-A3A7-FEF2511C4996.jpeg
This pic shows the area below the rad. You can see a rectangle shaped rubber flap /seal in the center below the rad. I have removed this flap and it was held in place with factory plastic push pins. It appears to be made from the sidewall of a automotive tire. Has anyone seen this on their cars? My car was build on 2/13/1967.

Thanks in advance…
...Steve T.
1967 Thunderbird Fordoor Dk.Green Metallic with Saddle Interior
1970 Trans Am
1966 GTO
1979 Lincoln Continental
2017 Challenger Scatpack Shaker
cacockrum

Re: 67 Lower Rad Support Rubber Baffles

Post by cacockrum »

My ’68 has the triangular-shaped pieces on both sides, and the holes for the push pins are the same as what you show, so I think it’s fair to say that the ’67 should have a rubber deflector on the left side. I suspect someone took it off. I don’t recall the details for the piece below the radiator, but I’ll get back to you as soon as my car gets back from the exhaust shop. If you decide to make new deflectors, you can get 1/16 inch thick masticated rubber sheet from Restoration Specialties and Supply, 814-467-9842.
455hota

Post by 455hota »

Cacockrum, thanks for the reply.
I will be interested to see the shape of your passenger side trianglular rubber piece.
I will order some material from your source.
Do you know if you have the rectangle piece under your radiator?
Thanks
...Steve T.
1970 Trans Am
1966 GTO
1979 Lincoln Continental
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

Sorry for the belated reply, but I just got my '68 back from the exhaust shop on Friday. After comparing your photos to my car, I see a few differences:
First, my driver's-side rubber shield extends about an inch past the center of of the front cross member. It is held in place by 3 plastic push pins (instead of 2 as shown in your photo), the right-most of which is in line with the center of the crankshaft pulley. The passenger-side shield is the mirror image of the driver's-side, and since they overlap at the center of the car, their center portions are held down by the same push pin..
Second, I don't have anything that looks like what you describe beneath the radiator. My radiator rests on two supports (one one each side) with a formed rubber cushion between the support and the radiator side tanks. There is a second pair of supports/rubber pads that secure the top of the radiator. It's certainly possible that the heavy rubber piece existed at some time, but I don't remember ever seeing it.
Third, I have a stamped metal shield (approximately 27" X 9") that is fastened to the lower, front portion of the front cross member by four 5/16 bolts and spring nuts. It extends forward below the AC condenser, almost to the front valence. To it is fastened (by way of several pop rivets) a rubber seal which contacts the upper inside edge of the front valence. I don't see any sign of this in your photo, and it is certainly possible that this was added to the '68 MY.
Hopefully this adds more light than confusion to your quest,
Art
455hota

Post by 455hota »

Art,

Your detailed response is greatly appreciated!!!

Any chance you can send me some pics? As they say a pic is worth a 1000 words...

Thanks in advance...
...Steve T.
1970 Trans Am
1966 GTO
1979 Lincoln Continental
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

As I mentioned above, the rubber splash shields on my '68 extend to the center of the car where they are attached to the front cross-member by a single push pin. I had the power steering pump out of the car when I too this photo, so you can see part of the left shield. but most of it (and all of the one on the right) are obscured by other stuff. The metal and rubber shield that extends forward from the front cross-member is easily seen from underneath the car.
You may need to click on each image to see it more clearly.
Attachments
_MG_9985-2.JPG
_MG_9982-2.JPG
455hota

Post by 455hota »

Those pics make a lot of sense now. Thanks.
...Steve T.
1970 Trans Am
1966 GTO
1979 Lincoln Continental