New to the T-Bird ranks.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Seafogs

New to the T-Bird ranks.

Post by Seafogs »

My son bought me a 69' 4 dr for father's day. Had electrical meltdown under hood, looks like harness for headlights.
Now I am not new to the mechanical end of the 429 as that is all my dad had but, electrical issues frighten me a bit. Will take all the advice I can get on this. Looking forward to getting this on the road!
stove

Re: New to the T-Bird ranks.

Post by stove »

Welcome! Pictures of the issue will be needed. Or at least a description of what does or does not work? Need more info
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
Seafogs

Post by Seafogs »

Thanks. It is the harness for the lighting, head lamps, fog, side makers... it runs across the radiator. Everything was fused together along the radiator and the wires are badly corroded. Now I don't know if this corroded because it has been sitting this way or the corrosion caused the meltdown. I think the later which makes me want to replace everything under the hood. Sorry I can't provide pictures at the moment.
stove

Post by stove »

Sounds to me there was a slow-burn short circuit, and it eventually spread to the rest of the local harness. The green corroded, brittle copper is the result of being severely overheated. It would have looked the way it looks now, days or hours after the failure event.
Seafogs

Post by Seafogs »

I didn't realize that. So I should start with just that harness and not everything under the hood. Objective to to get it road worthy and make improvements along the road.
Seafogs

Post by Seafogs »

Any recommendations on where or where not to get a wiring harness?
stove

Post by stove »

You are going to need to get a used one from a wrecking yard.

www.car-part.com has been invaluable. Search for something big and unrelated, that will indicate a yard still having the entire car,
like maybe a core support, or a door, hood, etc... Whatever it takes to find the yards that have '69 thunderbirds laying around.

John Draxler in Wisconsin might have something too...
Seafogs

Post by Seafogs »

Unbelievable, found a 69 2 dr 30 miles from me. The gentleman is parting it out and I scored a few items including the wiring harness.