Correct size air filter

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

sbetts

Re: Correct size air filter

Post by sbetts »

The actual issue is that your air cleaner is missing the 0.25” rubber seal that fits in the track around the air filter. The cover will clamp against the top of the air filter, and the lip of the cover would press into the soft rubber seal. The correct air filter (WIX 4205) is now very difficult to find, and the best replacement seems to be the Baldwin AF121, which has the wider upper lip and works without the 0.25” seal.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

There were a bunch of years when we couldn't get the big oval air filters for the dual quad air cleaner and now Scott Drake makes them. Perhaps we can get them to make these too.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

jtschug wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:44 pm There were a bunch of years when we couldn't get the big oval air filters for the dual quad air cleaner and now Scott Drake makes them. Perhaps we can get them to make these too.
I think Scott Drake would probably be reluctant to reproduce the '64 'Bird filter unless it can also be applied to Mustangs or possibly full-size Ford/Mercury applications. I've recently been looking into replacement hipo 4v open element filters for the '63 Falcon Sprint-type lid I have for my 4-barrel car, and if I'm reading the ads right they're very pricy if they don't include the lid and base for $120+.

Typically, manufacturers like Scott Drake will go for the exotic/desirable pieces like the open-element oval filters because of the market for such things with the modified crowd, i.e. Shelby wanna-be's, and I don't fault them for that. There's actually a few different sizes of oval filters based on height - the "M"-series '62-'63 filters, for instance, are oddball in that they're shorter than those used for the 2-4v applications, and even with them there's at least two heights used.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Here's a photo of the rubber seal on the 1964 air cleaner body. It's pretty common for this to be missing after 60 years.

Also including a photo of a 1965/66 air cleaner lid which had the rubber seal located on the underside in the recess at its perimeter.
Attachments
Rene air cleaner 2 rubber gasket copy.jpg
air cleaner lid gasket - '65 66.JPG