1962 M-Code, Holley 2300-C List Number Stamp Location

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

jrbudwig

1962 M-Code, Holley 2300-C List Number Stamp Location

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello Forum,

Shortly after taking title to a 62 SR M-Code it was identified that two of the carburetors had “date codes” that were after the manufacturing date (March 1962) in addition to one of the carburetors was from a Galaxie.

All three of these carburetors were at some time restored by a previous owner.

Wanting to replace the carburetors with the correct part numbers and dated coded carburetors I was lucky sometime back to have located set with correct part numbers and date codes (222) that preceded the manufacturing date.

Having observed many NOS Holley Carburetors from 1959-1970’s it was observed that Holley stamped the List Number (Holley Part Number) in black ink on the exterior of the carburetor in various locations through this period.

Shortly after cleaning the “replacement carburetors” it was observed that the Holley List Number stamp was located on the Fuel Bowl (Fig-1) and not on the Air Horn (Fig-2) which was the location for the currently installed carburetors.
1-ReplacementHolleyListNumberLocations_JScott05022021.jpg
2-ExistingHolleyListNumberLocations_JScott05022021.jpg
It was also noted that the Font Type was different.

Confident that the Fuel Bowl location was correct I had the opportunity this last weekend to inspect a “spare M-Code Carburetor and Manifold” with date codes of 222 that is owned by someone else.

It was during that inspection that it was observed that the Holley List Number was stamped on the Fuel Bowl (Fig-3) with the same Font on the “replacement carburetors.”
3-SpareHolleyListNumberLocations_JScott05022021.jpg
Prior to recoloring the “replacement carburetors” will be locating a band stamp with correct Font to apply the List Numbers after applying the dichromate finish.

Hope the above provides guidance for future restorations.

All the Best,

Jonathan
jrbudwig

Re: 1962 M-Code, Holley 2300-C List Number Stamp Location

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello Forum,

Having not posted in while the nuances of inserting images needs to be relearned.

Please see the following for Fig-1.
1-ReplacementHolleyListNumberLocations_JScott05022021.jpg
All the Best,

Jonathan
Ian M Greer

Post by Ian M Greer »

Jonathan ; another awesome find on the M's still lots to learn on the M option . I'm afraid to use too strong a cleaner on my bowls to see if I can see the production dates .What we're you using to clean the bowl casing and not damage the numbers . Ian up North ( Remember Not All birds Fly South )
1963 M Landau Caspian Blue (Remember Not All Birds Fly South)
Member #-12090
jrbudwig

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello Ian,

Great hearing from you!

This must be the week for me and Canada, as I had just spoken to someone from Toronto this last Monday.

In a spray bottle I have mixed the Simple Green Cleaner https://simplegreen.com/household/ Concentrate at 1:1.

After spraying depending on how dirty the item is let it soak for a while sometimes overnight.

Then follow up with a soft nylon brush or micro fiber towel - the softer the better to start.

If need I then apply additional concentrate directly to the part letting them soak as required.

Simple Green is the "first go to cleaner" and if needed will escalate to other more aggressive cleaners and solvents

Referencing the "replacement carburetor" the cleaned carburetor in Fig-1, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Only wish I would have had a image of the bowl "before" cleaning showing how dirty in the area was in the area of the Holley list number as a starting point.

So all that I have is the following front and side views of the "replacement carburetors" as a reference.
DSCN4630.JPG
DSCN4668.JPG
Here is the reference https://www.ebay.com/itm/184631314273to Fig-3 the "spare M-Code Carburetor and Manifold" that I inspected last weekend.

I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to look at another "clean" stock M-code assembly.

Found a few more Easter eggs during the inspection that I will share later.

Hope this is of assistance, stay well and great hearing from you!

All the Best,

Jonathan
Ian M Greer

Post by Ian M Greer »

Jonathan; I notice again on the original M set-up ; a few things 1- a flattened area on the PVC tube where the all to often plate, is missing that fits under the accelerator assembly against the rubber cushion strip , as per our discussions 2- I hear all to often of the anti stall dash pot having a plastic white half, yet it is all metal ,3 - again oil filler tube is strait on the top with no ring used later in 63 production after M production stopped and it is also bare steel 'originally painted black 4- Can you clarify the markings on the black choke heater element cover , top looks 58 but guessing that and can't make-out the lower markings , Ian
Member #-12090
jrbudwig

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello Ian,

Before addressing your comments forgot to mention that in addition to Simple Green I also have had excellent results with Krud Kutter https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catal ... rud-kutteras a first pass degreaser. Along with the Simple Green in a spray bottle also have a spray bottle of Krud Kutter mixed more aggressively than the Simple Green.

Responding to each in order please find the following,

1. Not sure if you have had the opportunity to speak with Joe Bunetic, however in a conversation with Joe in July 2018 after sharing a picture of my M-Code Fig-4, Joe stated that, “later production” had a flattened area with a rubber insulator and did not need spacers under the Firewall Bellcrank.”

Referencing Fig-5 from the inspected “spare M-Code Carburetor and Manifold” you can see the flattened area. What is not present is the “rubber” insulator in the area of the flattened spot.
Fig-4EarlyProductionPVCTube_JScott05092021.jpg
Fig-5PVCTube_JScott05092021.jpg
So from my conversation with Joe both would be acceptable.

2. At this time I can’t place my hands on the reference, however it was my understanding that either the “plastic “or all “metal Dashpot are acceptable see Fig-6 and Fig-6.1 for all of the dash pots that I have noted.
Fig-6ExistingDashpot_JScott05092021.jpg
Fig-6.1NewDashPot_JScott05092021.jpg
3. From Fig-7 the dirty “replacement manifold” associated with the replacement carburetors, there are remnants of black paint on a “straight” oil filler tube. My existing M-code matched the straight oil filler tube and it has been restored black.
Fig-7OilFillerTube_JScott05092021.jpg

4. In Fig-8 have included images from my existing M-Code and the replacement black Choke Thermostat Housing Ford P/N: B8A 9848-A.
Fig-8ChokeHousing_JScott05092021.jpg
Hope the above is of assistance!

All the Best,

Jonathan
Ian M Greer

Post by Ian M Greer »

Thanks' for the reply Jonathan , and input into our hunt to the M's history . Always new things to learn , regards Ian.
Member #-12090