AC belt idler pulleys

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

andy2175m4

AC belt idler pulleys

Post by andy2175m4 »

has anyone ever been able to service the cast iron ac belt idler pulleys ? I am getting ready to put the AC compressor back in and I notice the idler pulleys have no provision for lubrication, they still turn, but ... after 55 years I would think it's time to grease them, but don't see any way to take them apart to add grease,

I think it's safe to say the original designer of that arrangement never thought someone would be still be driving and servicing that car 55 years later.

any suggestions ?

thanks

Andrew
joelhutchison

Re: AC belt idler pulleys

Post by joelhutchison »

In my opinion idler pulleys come from the school of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's been replaced before it may have a snap ring and you can replace the sealed bearing but I'm thinking the original one doesn't. There are also good? used replacements out there but again if it isn't squealing its probably ok. My 65 lived in an extreme environment (110+ deg. for months at a time) and both of them are still plugging along ok. Also there are several replacements, arm and all, available at your neighborhood parts store (NAPA, O'Reilly's, etc.). Just make sure to take the old one for comparison of spacing, diameter, etc.
andy2175m4

Post by andy2175m4 »

yes Indeed they are still available on line, new, $120. well maybe we will wait til it breaks then ?
joelhutchison

Post by joelhutchison »

They usually advertise when they are going bad and its a quick fairly easy replacement so that's what I would do.