64-66 convertible top rear tack strip channel

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Gary Fields

64-66 convertible top rear tack strip channel

Post by Gary Fields »

I own a 1965 Thunderbird convertible. The rear tack strip channel is rusted and badly needs to be replaced. Are these available anywhere or does one need to be constructed? Or are there universal channels that can be used?
jtschug

Re: 64-66 convertible top rear tack strip channel

Post by jtschug »

Mine was rusted badly and they repaired it because they are unique and not reproduced
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Gary Fields

Post by Gary Fields »

Thank you for responding. I have since posting found a universal tack strip channel, aluminum, at Blue Oval Classics that needs to be modified for the particular Birds 1958 through 1966. I have ask for additional info but as yet have not received a reply. Will post what I find out.
arby1256

Post by arby1256 »

Gary, I find myself in the same place as you. I bought a 66 vert with no top and what remains of part of a rear tack strip channel. How did you make out with the universal channel? Seems like a steep price for something that needs modification ($280).
BBlendo

Post by BBlendo »

I found myself in the same position but after talking to a premier auto upholstery shop in Pontiac Michigan named Pauls Customs and has been in business since 1953 They recomended using a 1/2" tack strip and rivoted with aluminum rivots to package tray has worked great for over a year now and looks great and held up with no issues.
apines

Post by apines »

The old ones can be pretty far gone and still serviceable. Mine have holes rusted through and I took them off, ground off as much rust as I could with a wire wheel and sand paper, painted them with rust converting spray paint, and re-attached them. They look terrible but they're completely covered by the tack strip and the top so no one's the wiser and they're still holding strong.

current:
1966 Ford Thunderbird Q-code convertible with Highway Pilot
1975 Triumph Spitfire
past:
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1974 Triumph TR6
1968 Ford Galaxie convertible
1974 VW Super Beetle
1981 Checker Marathon
VTCI membership #12807
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

BBlendo wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:49 pm I found myself in the same position but after talking to a premier auto upholstery shop in Pontiac Michigan named Pauls Customs and has been in business since 1953 They recomended using a 1/2" tack strip and rivoted with aluminum rivots to package tray has worked great for over a year now and looks great and held up with no issues.
Oh wow! My top was done not far from there by the Shelby Trim shop on Van Dyke in Warren. They are the folks that brought my strips back from the dead. I honestly thought they were junk, but they managed to make them work. They have been on there for more than 10 years now with not issues.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA