1966 Power Seat Aft Movement Not Working

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Phantomf4

1966 Power Seat Aft Movement Not Working

Post by Phantomf4 »

All axes of my driver’s side power seat are working except I cannot get it to move aft. Further complicating it is I have access to the power seat assembly but the solenoid (?) box for the fore/aft movement is underneath the rail. I assume the motor is good. Any insight would be much appreciated.
tbird

Re: 1966 Power Seat Aft Movement Not Working

Post by tbird »

You may have the wire to the solenoid under the seat broken or disconnected or the coil burned out. Hard to work on the seat with it in the car likely would save you time and damaged hands to just take the 4 nuts off the hold down bolts that penetrate the floor pans under the seat.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Phantomf4

Post by Phantomf4 »

I’ll remove the power seat assembly from the car and check the wiring but It will motor forward. Worst case is I’d at least like to move it back manually since it all the way forward now.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

The same motor does everything, so if it moves at all then the motor is fine.

If it was a solenoid, you would hear the motor spin. The problem is between the switch or the relay and the wiring in between. It could just be something unplugged. I’ve also had broken pins in those rubber wire connectors
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Phantomf4

Post by Phantomf4 »

Got it on the bench now. It was pretty easy to remove from the car. The motor does not spin so I’ll check the relay, switch and continuity. Wasn’t looking forward to taking apart the solenoid so glad to hear that isn’t the problem, I need to remove the battery so I have a 12V source on the bench.
Phantomf4

Post by Phantomf4 »

Good news is that I got the seat to move forward by wiggling the wires at the switch side (the 3 in black boots and the blue wire). I could not get it to hold so the problem may be internal to the switch. These wires also control the up/down motion too. Not sure what else to do other than get a new switch. At least the seat is now in a drivable position for me.
Attachments
D0FAE1AC-7D0D-4BED-9C28-13B34B5C643D.jpeg
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Is this a passenger side seat?
Livermore, CA
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Switches are available for 64 and 65 4-way power seats, but I don't thing the 6-way one for 66 is being made. I've rebuilt one for my 64, and it was a nightmare.
Good luck
Terry
64HT
Phantomf4

Post by Phantomf4 »

The switch is for the driver’s side. My passenger side is manual. The switch doesn’t look like it could be rebuilt, I see no screws or ways to disassemble it it. I think the Galaxies used the same switch too.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

A loose wire doesn’t require a switch rebuild. I imagine something is wrong under those black sleeves
Livermore, CA