55 limited slip or positraction

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

JimCunn

55 limited slip or positraction

Post by JimCunn »

What is available?
How many splines on the 55 axle?
55blacktie

Re: 55 limited slip or positraction

Post by 55blacktie »

The 1955 Dana 44 rear axle has 19-spline axles.

I had an Auburn limited-slip differential installed, at the same time the stock 3.31 gears were swapped for 2.72 for the highway. I'm still working on the restoration, so I can't provide the results. One person suggested that I wouldn't like limited-slip, but the same person also told me the 2.72 gears wouldn't fit. My 88 Mustang, which I mentioned earlier, came equipped with Ford's Traction-Loc/w 2.73 gears. That's probably one of the reasons I opted to have it installed in the Tbird. Considering most new cars come equipped with electronic traction control, I can't come up with a valid argument against it.

There are 2 different Dana 44 carriers. The small carrier is good for up to 3.73. Numerically higher ratios require the large carrier.

It does little/no good to have a lot of horsepower, if it doesn't reach the ground. If you lack the right tires, suspension, and gears, it's wasted.

You might ask a profession builder's opinion about upgrading to 30-spline axles. I didn't, but made I should have. If your tires go up in smoke, due to lack of traction, 19-spline axles are probably ok. If you hook up with enough power, you might wish you had 30-spline axles.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

P.S. Automatics aren't as hard on the drivetrain. Sidestepping the clutch pedal of a manual transmission during a hard launch is a recipe for disaster.
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

I'm not interested in putting a lot of horsepower on the ground - I'm interested in one wheel on a solid surface, and the other on mud or ice.

As an aside, the clutch doesn't have to be hard on the transmission. I've got a couple of Dodge trucks with eight forward gears and most unsynchronised, and I don't use the clutch at all. You just match rpm by ear as you shift. Unclutched, they handle the power from a big block Chevy with no trouble at all.
However, you can use the clutch if you prefer.
Last edited by JimCunn on Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

You're welcome.
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

Info is much appreciated.
Thanks
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

Blacktie, the Auburn looks good, and reasonably priced.
Where did you source the 2.72 ring and pinion, and how many splines did the pinion have - or did you replace the flange yoke too?