63 Convertible Trunk Restoration

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

SilverBullet

63 Convertible Trunk Restoration

Post by SilverBullet »

Thinking about buying this:

https://www.ecklers.com/1961-1963-ford- ... _tab-title

What I need to know, however, is didn't the 63 convertible also have a cover for the spare tire -- or is the spare tire supposed to be exposed?
Scott Scriver
Surprise, Az, USA
VTCI Member# 13007

1963 Convertible - Family owned since day one
My Father's VTCI # was 2941
Alan H. Tast

Re: 63 Convertible Trunk Restoration

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Covers for spare wheels were not used prior to 1964.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Is your car of the level of Concourse? If so then obtaining the burtex material is justified. If you are a driver and car is used for pleasure then why not just order fleece backed material at a fraction of cost. It stands up to adverse situations, in my mind, looks factory, and the vinyl surface is cleanable.
It is personal choice, on quality, cost and application.
Just want to see the finished application suit your needs, not spend $ if not necessary.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
SilverBullet

Post by SilverBullet »

Alan H. Tast wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:03 pm Covers for spare wheels were not used prior to 1964.
Thank you! Just recently joined VTCI and ordered concourse books.
Scott Scriver
Surprise, Az, USA
VTCI Member# 13007

SilverBullet

Post by SilverBullet »

RAVEN wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:14 pm Is your car of the level of Concourse? If so then obtaining the burtex material is justified. If you are a driver and car is used for pleasure then why not just order fleece backed material at a fraction of cost. It stands up to adverse situations, in my mind, looks factory, and the vinyl surface is cleanable.
Just want to see the finished application suit your needs, not spend $ if not necessary.
Not yet, but about 85% there. It is my goal to bring it to concourse level. It was concourse level in the early 90's and I am trying to bring it back to that level.
Scott Scriver
Surprise, Az, USA
VTCI Member# 13007

Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

SilverBullet wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:32 pm
RAVEN wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:14 pm Is your car of the level of Concourse? If so then obtaining the burtex material is justified. If you are a driver and car is used for pleasure then why not just order fleece backed material at a fraction of cost. It stands up to adverse situations, in my mind, looks factory, and the vinyl surface is cleanable.
Not yet, but about 85% there. It is my goal to bring it to concourse level. It was concourse level in the early 90's and I am trying to bring it back to that level.
If you want your trunk compartment to look concours, then get the Burtex kit. IMHO opinion, there's a world of difference between the appearance of vinyl/fleece and Burtex. The ACC Burtex kit can be obtained for a very reasonable price from, of all places, Rock Auto. It's not that much more than the cheesy fleece backed vinyl. And inexplicably, Rock sells it for $30.00 cheaper than the manufacturer, Auto Custom Carpets, making the cost differential that much less.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/for ... vering,561

Choose: Convertible, Pattern 34B Ford Spatter

The Burtex is actually pretty durable. I cover mine with a large heavy white towel in normal use to protect it from scuffs and scratches. I stand on the towel in the trunk quite frequently and have never experienced any damage with the towel in place. There's a page on my website that shows the installation of a '63 Burtex trunk kit in my former '63 M SR.

http://www.tbirdgarage.com/Site_2/63_M_ ... k_Kit.html

And another page that shows a completely facory original '62 trunk, which is the same as '63 except for the jack flap arrangement.

http://www.tbirdgarage.com/Site_2/Techn ... .html#grid
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

I have original Burtex in my 63, not in bad shape at all, just very dusty and dirty from the years but no oil stains etc. Has anyone tried cleaning this aside from the gentle vacuuming? Id be afraid to get the jute backing wet, seems like it could fall apart but figured I'd ask if anyone has experience.
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"