Converting a 62 Tbird Brake Light Switch from Hydraulic to Mechanical Plunger Type

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

kbuhagiar

Converting a 62 Tbird Brake Light Switch from Hydraulic to Mechanical Plunger Type

Post by kbuhagiar »

Hello Folks,

I noticed today that although my brake lights work, I need to press the pedal pretty far to get them to actuate, and sometimes they won't light up at all, even under hard pressure. Rather than replace the factory hydraulic switch I would like to convert to a modern mechanical-plunger type of switch, mounted to the brake pedal.

Has anyone out there done this? If so, what parts did you use? The Tbird went to this system starting in 1965, would that switch adapt to a 62 TBird?

Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations.
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)
Alan H. Tast

Re: Converting a 62 Tbird Brake Light Switch from Hydraulic to Mechanical Plunger Type

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Did you try typing these words in the "Search" box? "Search" can be your friend with the right combination of key words...

mechanical brake light switch conversion

https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... conversion

There are several threads about doing this for '55-'57s and a couple for '61-'63s - principle is basically the same. It would involve fabricating a bracket to hold the switch, mounting a stop for the plunger to contact, and connecting the wires from the existing switch to the new one.

I've only had personal experience with plunger-type switches from late '70s-'80s GM G-body cars (I used to have an '87 El Camino for 15 years). It used a threaded bracket attached to the pedal arm and a fixed stop mounted such that the plunger could contact it and depress the switch when the pedal was released. Problem was it used a threaded plastic body and the threads would strip out over time from the switch pounding against the stop, requiring occasional readjustment or replacement.

Unsolicited comment: If a person was inclined to leave the original switch and wiring in place and "fool" people, I would think that the two wires could be tapped to provide power to the new pedal-mounted mechanical switch, or cut the wires off inside the passenger compartment and leave in place while splicing new wire connections from the mechanical switch.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
kbuhagiar

Re: Converting a 62 Tbird Brake Light Switch from Hydraulic to Mechanical Plunger Type

Post by kbuhagiar »

Alan H. Tast wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:28 am Did you try typing these words in the "Search" box? "Search" can be your friend with the right combination of key words...
Yes, Alan, I did, and I was not satisfied with the results, which is why I posted the question.
I was hoping to connect with someone who had already done this, perhaps to find which later-model switch would work best in this application.
Problem was it used a threaded plastic body and the threads would strip out over time from the switch pounding against the stop, requiring occasional readjustment or replacement.
I have worked on many different vehicles with this style of switch and actually this should never be a problem IF the brake pedal stop (usually a rubber bumper) is in place AND the switch is adjusted correctly. It is a much better method of activating brake lights.

Thanks for your input!
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)