55 transmission

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

claudine

55 transmission

Post by claudine »

I am of the understanding that the 55 bird auto trans is air cooled, is this correct? Should it be a concern under normal driving conditions? I am thinking with modern ATF it will give better protection. What is the prescribed method of ATF change?, drop the pan or can it be sucked out through the fill tube and is there a filter, and how much fluid does it take? thanx again for the invaluable input
T-Bird Bob

Re: 55 transmission

Post by T-Bird Bob »

Hello Claudine,
I never did a service on mine, but it is just dine normally with pan off, filter change and refill. The capacity should be noted in your user manual.
I was driving my T-bird in Arizona at 100° heat with no issues. But I didn't have many hills and avoided engine braking (changing in LOW on a decline).
It worked fine for me.
The Ford-O-Matic takes normal Dexron II or so, Type F is not required (this is only required for later Cruise-O-Matics).

Just do a regular servicing.

Bob
claudine

Post by claudine »

Thanx again Bob
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I did my transmission oil changed last year, I also changed the transmission filter too. If your going to do this maintenance you also need a transmission gasket too.... according to the 1956 Thunderbird Shop manual:
Fordomatic 8 cylinder 19 1/2 pints
Thunderbird & Intercepter 20 1/2 pints
Attachments
lift.JPG
lift.JPG (14.32 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
JimCunn

Post by JimCunn »

Mine is air-cooled. Never had a problem with it. Ford-o-matic always gave me good service. Pan is easy yo remove.