Tacho install

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Davec

Tacho install

Post by Davec »

Something which I can find nowhere on the net, is a 67 - 71 Tbird with a tach installed.
Does anyone have any idea which one best suits and best fitting position for it ?!
stove

Re: Tacho install

Post by stove »

1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
Davec

Post by Davec »

thats smart but looks like it will only fit the 67 as too small for the main pods
stove

Post by stove »

You did say '67-'71.. What is it exactly you are trying to see achieved? A tach that replaces the clock position or something? Cheers!
Davec

Post by Davec »

i did yes..
i'm wondering if a tach can replace the clock and if there is one that looks a similar font
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Is this a dash-mounted tach and bezel out of a Mustang or Cougar, Falcon, Fairlane/Comet, or one of the accessory ones offered from Ford? Hard to tell how far the bezel sits out of the console without a side shot. I think that's actually not a bad location for one and looks somewhat OEM for the application.

You'd have to get creative and fabricate/modify a tach for the clock position. Some have done this with good success in '61-'63s and '58-'60 T-birds, even going as far to create new lenses, faces and graphics. A search in those fourms (look in the modified forums) for tachometers may yield some tips and inspiration.

Many don't realize today that by the mid-'60s the performance emphasis was well far away from T-birds. Since there was no tach designed specifically for the 'Bird during the era, the only way to get a tach in a 'Bird would be as an add-on from the Ford/Rotunda parts man with a universal mounting method, i.e. brackets and attach to steering column with a worm-drive clamp, or mount on pedestal to dash/console, or surface mount or cut up the car to install in some open area of the instrument area/console (like the picture shows). Most people, though went the aftermarket route from the local speed shop, Western Auto, JC Whitney, the automotive department as Sears/Wards/K-mart, ad infinitum...
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
stove

Post by stove »

I think that's actually not a bad location for one and looks somewhat OEM for the application.
Thank you! I tried :lol:

This is my own creation. I used the tach from a '67 Bronco to achieve the same font. The rest of it is completely hand made.

I completely agree with you Alan, and as I've grown to love these cars more for the way Ford designed them, I regret adding this, and have intentions on putting the stock cubby door back on. It's on the perpetual "list".

Side view (and yes it has the same angled toward driver effect achieved by the factory dash mounted gauge pods.):

Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Obviously I didn't think of Bronco. With as popular as 1st Generation ones are right now getting a good one is probably going to be somewhat pricey.

Visually there was no difference between the 6- and 8-cylinder tachs: sometimes the application was stamped on the back of the tach body to tell them apart, which in turn was covered up by the mounting cup.

A listing of tachometers from the 1967 Ford Accessories Brochure:
Tach Listing - 1967 Ford Accessories Brochure
Tach Listing - 1967 Ford Accessories Brochure

Note that the '67 listing included a Sun 9,000 rpm-250-degree sweep tachometer, but I don't recall if that one required a separate transformer/converter box under the hood like those offered in the early '60s. The Rotunda/Faria-made tachs simply hooked up to the ignition system/distributor. This is the Sun 9,000 rpm-250-degree sweep tachometer, first offered for 1964, as shown in the 1966 Ford Accessories brochure along with a listing of other tachometers offered.
Sun 250-degree sweep tach & 66 Tach listing (from 1966 Ford Accessories brochure)
Sun 250-degree sweep tach & 66 Tach listing (from 1966 Ford Accessories brochure)
66 tachs.JPG (21.49 KiB) Viewed 3192 times

This is the Rotunda/Faria 6,000 rpm/100-degree sweep "economy" tachometer, a variation of one first introduced in 1962 in 6,000 and 8,00 rpm versions with a white "zero" knob near the bottom. The 8,000 rpm "zero" knob version is most associated in T-bird circles with what people look for if they have a '62-'63 (especially the M-series nuts like me). The "economy" version without the knob is pictured - both looked the same.
Rotunda/FoMoCo 6,000 RPM-100 degree sweep Tach (from 1967 Ford Accessories brochure)
Rotunda/FoMoCo 6,000 RPM-100 degree sweep Tach (from 1967 Ford Accessories brochure)

The Cobra 250-degree sweep tach was popular with Mustang and other HiPo owners and was introduced for 1965 IIRC. The 6,000 rpm version is shown here. A 9,000 rpm version was also offered. Shown next to it is the Engine Gauge Kit - this is rare to find.
Cobra 6,000 RPM-250 degree sweep Tach & Rotunda/FoMoCo Engine Gauge Kit (from 1967 Ford Accessories brochure)
Cobra 6,000 RPM-250 degree sweep Tach & Rotunda/FoMoCo Engine Gauge Kit (from 1967 Ford Accessories brochure)

Here's a group of tachometers shown in the 1968 Ford Accessories brochure and the listings for them. The one on the left is the 'flat' tach (6,000 rpm, available in 8,000 rpm); the Cobra tach in the center is the 9,000 rpm version, and next to it is the Rotunda/FoMoCo Engine Gauge Kit.
"Flat"/Ribbon Tach, Cobra 9000 RPM-250 degree sweep Tach & Tach Listing and Engine Gauge Kit (from 1968 Ford Accessories brochure)
"Flat"/Ribbon Tach, Cobra 9000 RPM-250 degree sweep Tach & Tach Listing and Engine Gauge Kit (from 1968 Ford Accessories brochure)

Finding the flat one introduced for '68 (available in both 6,000 and 8,000 rpm versions) is probably going to be a real challenge (and real expensive).

The multi-function Engine Gauge Kit/cluster with separate gauges for vacuum, voltmeter (ammeters were standard in many cars at that time), engine temperature and oil pressure (most cars had 'idiot' lights) is out there but very pricey: I saw one listed in a Facebook marketplace for just Ford parts recently (Oct 2020) and asking price was above $600.

There were also smaller-faced tachometers that came out in '63-'66 that were offered in a few different faces, sweep ranges (some 100-degree, some 250-degree) and RPM ranges for Mustang, Falcon Sprint, etc. Not to forget, the famed Mustang "Rally Pack" two-pod tach/clock combo have to be noted since it's shown. Here's some pics from the 1965 Ford Accessory Brochure for reference. The top one is the Rotunda "zero" knob version.
Tachometers - 1965 Ford Accessories Brochure
Tachometers - 1965 Ford Accessories Brochure
Of course, you could look for the hood-mounted tach introduced in '69-'70, but that probably wouldn't be real appropriate for a stock-ish 'Bird of the period.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Davec

Post by Davec »

i actually quite like what you've done there, i wouldn't be in too much of a rush to change it back. Sounds like some major customisation required for anything oem looking!
Mvs62bulletbird

Post by Mvs62bulletbird »

Hi if anyone’s got period correct tachometer that would fit now 62, 63,64 you name it not 2 inches in diameter so so I can go for the either flip up ashtray to put it in that spot with another gauge or on the consul or somewhere I’ve gotta figure that out, but I’m leaning towards the center where the ashtray is I don’t need it.

Please help a guy out if you’ve got one dig through your stuff I don’t know I haven’t been able to find anything. I love to pay $47 for one that would make my day..

Cleaning the wire wheels in January and Minneapolis, 60° yesterday OMG who would’ve known that

Michael
Attachments
IMG_6264.jpeg
IMG_6282.png
IMG_6283.png
IMG_6284.png