quarter window mystery 65 convertible

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

mark1965tbird

quarter window mystery 65 convertible

Post by mark1965tbird »

Hi everyone,
I've bene working on a quarter window and have a mystery. I replaced the motor and gear. New grease, tracks lubed, rollers spin. The new motor sounds beautiful....going up. When you roll it down it goes much slower and makes a rhythmic sound like it's hitting something repeatedly. BN said the spring could need regreasing because "down is harder than up". I cleaned and degreased the spring, rechecked all tracks and rollers (nothing I can see there). Can the sting be adjusted? Has anyone experienced this? Why would it only struggle and make the noise down?
Thanks for any help,
Mark

stubbie

Re: quarter window mystery 65 convertible

Post by stubbie »

Is the spring in the correct way?

paulr

Post by paulr »

mark1965tbird wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:36 pm
Hi everyone,
I've bene working on a quarter window and have a mystery. I replaced the motor and gear. New grease, tracks lubed, rollers spin. The new motor sounds beautiful....going up. When you roll it down it goes much slower and makes a rhythmic sound like it's hitting something repeatedly. BN said the spring could need regreasing because "down is harder than up". I cleaned and degreased the spring, rechecked all tracks and rollers (nothing I can see there). Can the sting be adjusted? Has anyone experienced this? Why would it only struggle and make the noise down?
Thanks for any help,
Mark
Couple things I notice. The "rollers" in the quarters aren't rollers, they're guides. Talking about the nylon discs. If they're spinning, something's wrong; they should be stationary, lubed, and acting only as guides. Maybe one of those is jittery. Second thing is the spring isn't adjustable per se. Possibly, it could be wound one revolution too tightly, though that would be hard to do. Downward travel is harder for the motor because that's how the spring tightens. I suppose if it were installed too tightly, it could be fighting against the motor something fierce. On the up travel it would be all to glad to unwind in this hypothetical scenario. Just two crazy thoughts. Good luck.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson

mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Thanks Stubble and Paul. I didn't remove the spring or try to adjust, I just cleaned and lubed it. On the guides you are correct, I misspoke. They don't wiggle. The spring is wound counter clockwise- from the center it winds counter clockwise until it hooks onto the tab at top.