Gauges and Bezels

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

BillD

Gauges and Bezels

Post by BillD »

I finally got my "new" 65 T-bird home. All in good shape with all the usual minor stuff to repair....exhaust leak, minor chrome pieces need cleaned or replaced, etc. However, The gauges were replaced with Sunpro after market gauges. I've been looking around online and cannot find OEM gauges. And the bezels I've found aren't in the best shape. Looked through the parts catalogs in several of the Thunderbird parts stores and didn't see them in the catalogs. Anyone know where I can find all the gauges and bezels?
:coffee:

paulr

Re: Gauges and Bezels

Post by paulr »

Congratulations on the new Tbird. 65s are superior models with some enviable engineering upgrades from my 64, but I've copped a few of those :cool:

Nobody makes those bezels or gauges new, sorry. Patient auction site hunting will provide you with quality salvaged parts. You may have to wait a while to find nice examples but they will appear eventually. Pat Wilson and Bird Nest have used parts available but you really need to see the parts before buying, in my humble opinion. There are a lot of ugly ones out there. Mediocre ones can be restored. With regard to the ammeter, be certain you're purchasing a 65MY ammeter which is one-year only. 64 and 66 ammeters are incorrect for 65.

Mine were crappy originally. The pic below are all ebay purchases I eventually found, unrestored, all working. Not bad, huh?
QZTB9064.jpg
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson

stubbie

Post by stubbie »

There is a guy on Facebook who had a post selling gauges the other day, dozens of them i will get his details for you later.

paulr

Post by paulr »

Always be cautious, caveat emptor as one says. A good friend paid dearly for a set of NOS bezels. NOS is not a guarantee of perfection; it is an unverifiable promise that the item being delivered in original packaging has never been installed or put in service. A couple of my buddy’s bezels were faintly scratched with mild chrome pitting.

By sheer luck I got four bezels for $50 so close to perfection you’d say they were NOS but they were sold as used. Sometimes, you collect an assortment and assemble the best group. It’s one idea. Good luck.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson

georgemii

Post by georgemii »

BillD,

I think I have a set of bezels; not perfect, but not bad.
I’ll get home later today and can send pics if you’d like.

BillD

Post by BillD »

At Paul, nice dash...can even say beautiful.

At George...please do. Anything helps at this point.

Just a crying shame looking at those after market gauges in my car. ::?

stubbie

Post by stubbie »

BillD sent you an email

georgemii

Post by georgemii »

BillD,

I have pics, but don't need to hijack this thread.
Please contact me at <ghoxie@yahoo.com>

georgemii

BillD

Post by BillD »

Big thanks for georgemii. An angel at the right time. He sent me a complete set of bezels for my car for a thanks and a virtual handshake.

On another good note, my son, whom we haven't spoken in a few years, showed up over the holiday weekend. He has a fantastic job making custom rear ends for hot rods, etc. His boss has a huge boneyard up in the Upper Penisula Michigan. They had a few 65 T-birds out there and one had a complete set of gauges in very good shape. So, family discount, plus my son and I are back on good terms again. Complete win from all around.

Plus, my son wants to make a custom rear for the bird, turning it into a posi rear. With completely cleaning up the whole rear and doing a black satin powder coat.

georgemii

Post by georgemii »

Good karma strikes again!