Converting from generator to alternator

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
fberritto

Converting from generator to alternator

Post by fberritto »

Can anyone help walk me through how to convert the three wire generator on a 1960 Thunderbird to a one wire alternator? Jegs sells a alternator that seems to match up and fit the bracket and belt system for the generator.

Do you simply just out the thick gauge wire from the generator onto the new alternator and run it through the volatage regulator the same way?
bbogue

Re: Converting from generator to alternator

Post by bbogue »

Hello.
I replaced the generator with a Powergen alternator for my 61 several years ago. It looks just like the generator it replaced. I was careful to order the model with a connector for the generator light in the dash, else the light would no longer work. The Powergen alternator has an integral voltage regulator so the external voltage regulator can be bypassed. I had a question or two during installation but the mfr was helpful. The pulley from the old generator had to be swapped onto the new alternator. I do not recall why. A generator shop did this for me. No issues with the alternator in 7 years. Expensive.
Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
Thunderbird-1959

Post by Thunderbird-1959 »

I have a 430 MEL 7.0 and found a PWM-82101 - Powermaster PowerGEN Alternator on Summit Racing site for $333. Has anyone swapped the generator in a 430 car over to this alternator? Looks like one wire only and curious if/how I'd get the alt light to still function on the gauge or , alternatively, I really want to install a volt meter. I think I can just hook the volt meter hot wire to the on/off ignition wire and ground it somewhere from what I've read. But I'm digging to find out more, but maybe someone here has already hooked up a volt meter with a one wire on this engine? Thanks much.
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Dear 1959,
I believe you need the 82101-2 model in order to preserve the function of your generator light. It has an extra post for the wire to this light. As to whether or not this will fit a 430 engine, I have no idea. Maybe the folks at Powergen could help. As to wiring a voltage gauge, any ignition On 12 volt connection should work.

Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers