Behind the tailight

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

PapaBird

Behind the tailight

Post by PapaBird »

Alright need help with this piece. I have looked through every catalog that I have but can not find. Google has been no help on this piece, cause well I'm not sure what the part is called. Could someone point me in the right direction.

stubbie

Re: Behind the tailight

Post by stubbie »

In the electrical manual it just calls them grommets with a number C458-14603-L and R 6 required.
if the tabs are broken off just get your soldering iron and weld them back together.

PapaBird

Post by PapaBird »

Thanks for the response, I'll try using that number to replace the ones missing.

Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

You could put gorilla tape over the holes, it would server the same purpose, the reason for the grommets from what I understand is to stop the ambient lighting from the taillights sockets.

Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

I don't think you can just tape over the holes. The cup part extends back towards the trunk area to give room for the connector on the back of the bulb socket. I think these are more for protection and to keep water out of the bulb/socket. If you use tape, make sure it's waterproof and put a depression in to allow for the wiring and socket. It might be a good use for that 4 inch wide Flex-Tape. I've used it on a couple of things and it sticks like mad.
Just a suggestion
Terry
64HT

Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

I was told something about stopping ambient lighting . The picture is the back of my car, there are four of the grommet you can see that was shown by Papab. in the picture. I don't believe the sockets for the bulbs fit in them,they are plugging something for some reason if they are only doing that, then tape would work.
Attachments
IMG_0011 (2)_LI.jpg

BBlendo

Post by BBlendo »

Their purpose is to shield the bulb socket from rain, dirt and road debris the lamp sockets do extend into this grommet take a simple measurement or do it your way

Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Here's the back end with everything taken off. You can see the three "holes" on each side. As BBlendo says, they are for protection of the sockets and wiring.
Terry
64HT
Attachments
DSC02977 (Medium).JPG

Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

BBlendo wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:56 pm
Their purpose is to shield the bulb socket from rain, dirt and road debris the lamp sockets do extend into this grommet take a simple measurement or do it your way
I'm trying to visualize how these particular grommets are protecting the light sockets, it may be from the back in that scenario, because the light fixture sits in the front of them. See picture, there are 9 straight across bulb sockets. Where would the dirt and water becoming from it cannot be the lens, so it seems it is coming from where the bumper assembly attaches to the car?
Attachments
IMG_0010 (2).JPG

David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

You must have a 66. 64/5 have 6.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK

Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

It sure would be helpful if people told us what year they are asking about. We seem to spend a lot of time talking about things that don't apply.
Terry
64HT

PapaBird

Post by PapaBird »

I'll start with the bird is a 64. From all that I have gathered and looking at the car, the grommets defiantly protect the sockets from stuff flying up under the car. This was easy to see with having the lights installed and no rear valiance on the car. So my plan is to mold my own or find a cupped piece of rubber that I can install if I can not find.

paulr

Post by paulr »

PapaBird wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:21 pm
I'll start with the bird is a 64. From all that I have gathered and looking at the car, the grommets defiantly protect the sockets from stuff flying up under the car. This was easy to see with having the lights installed and no rear valiance on the car. So my plan is to mold my own or find a cupped piece of rubber that I can install if I can not find.
Ok, thanks for dating the car. It’s always essential to know the year as parts may vary and answers can start heading in the wrong direction fast.

The part in your first picture does not look exactly right for a 64MY. That tab sticking out isn’t familiar; then again, maybe it won’t matter.

Here’s what matters. The catalogs aren’t helping you because unless something’s changed very recently, no one has reproduced these. However, patient searching on the auction sites will provide used parts. Better yet call Bird Nest and Pat Wilson and ask for their used parts guys. Those things are around to be had. Good luck.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson

stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Some English cars like Morris Minor use a similar grommet on their tail lights if anyone ever gets desperate
https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/55 ... -body-long
Paul there the same as in my 64 just missing an arm on the other side.