Help with engine bay wiring harness

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

dgalietti

Help with engine bay wiring harness

Post by dgalietti »

Hi Guys!

I checked through every post I could find and didn't really see anything about this.

I am installing my wiring harness, and I think I've got most of the routing figured out.

The part that I am having a little trouble with is where it goes across the radiator support. when I took it out, I don't remember anything holding it up or supporting it under there. I don't have any clips, any kind of harness sheath, or anything like that that came out.

What keeps it from laying on top of the radiator? Any pics anybody may have, especially of the front area would be super helpful!
RAVEN

Re: Help with engine bay wiring harness

Post by RAVEN »

The 2 under hood firewall harnesses, cross the front of the car UNDER the front upper radiator support frame member. And in front of the Rad, not on top.
The Drivers side (left) harness terminates just at the battery and provides the electrics for the headlights and turn signals.
The Passenger side (right) harness basically terminates at the drivers side (left) of the radiator, then there is a sub assembly that plugs in for the voltage regulator. All the plugs are "keyed" so no possible cross wiring.
In regard to the Upper rad support cross member, if your car is original, there will be a wire trough that is screwed to the underside, but in many cases sagged from motor heat, and was removed by POs. In its replacement was the use of the wire loop hangers found holding the harnesses through out the engine bay and screwed to the Upper support and located in front of the Rad. If you will notice, there is a relief notch in the Rad side shields, just under the Upper fan shroud, for the wires to pass. The trough had 2 holes for the yellow horn wires to pass though, when it was installed.
Hope it is clear as mud LOL
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Thanks raven. That helps a lot. So, if I cant find and original wire trough, I will have to come up with an alternative.

I take it that it screw to the underside of the upper support?
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Yes.
1964 Red Convertible
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

ok. I talked to birds nest and they don't make a new wire channel... also used is apparently very difficult to find in good condition.

So, this is what I came up with. Let me know what you think. I don't know how heat resistant this is, so I will put some extra heatshield material on top of the radiator.
Attachments
J- CHANNEL.png
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Looks workable. 4 feet long for a 2 foot need. You will have a spare! Install may be a challenge with front bumper on car, to get a drill in and use. Nothing tried, nothing gained.
Good luck.
1964 Red Convertible
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Install should be easy. No bumper, fenders, radiator, or engine right now!
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

I believe that I have a good used one if you are interested.
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Thanks cacockrum. I may take you up on that depending how it goes with my replacement.
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Sorry to keep bringing this up.. But does anyone know how the wire harness for the alternator is supposed to be routed? It plugs in near the regulator on the passenger side.
According to the pictures I took when disassembling, it didnt go through the radiator support area... And I dont remember how it actually went.

Thanks!
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

maybe these can help
Attachments
104-0415_IMG.JPG
104-0414_IMG.JPG
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

As Bob posted and attaches with some P clips
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

OH Boy hope this goes through with the problems I am having with SPAM blockage I am experiencing/
First off, do you have Electronic Factory Ignition? If so I have no exposure to deal with as wiring may be different. Never did a Elect Igntion harness.
Lets deal with NON Factory Electronic Ignition wiring.
There is two firewall harnesses which I posted previous, and hopefully clear and understood, with them passing thru the upper Rad support. I also said there was a sub assembly. This make 3 assorted assemblies of wiring.
The third assembly (sub-assembly) starts at the alternator, passes across the BOTTOM Rad support frame work, UNDER the Rad, and travels up the drivers side of the Rad and plugs into the 3 prong wiring harness, at the Volt Reg.
It is not difficult, if you lay the harnesses on the floor and follow my directions, AND I PUT THE WORDS RIGHT.
Hope this helps, if not, repost and will try to better direct.
Do understand that there is the temp/oil pressure and coil power feed wiring part of the system and may confuse you.
I hope you have the Osborne Wiring Assembly manual to help. IF NOT, then get it. It will direct you greatly, and help in my long talk of direction.

Have fun, ask if needed, we will try.

R
Last edited by RAVEN on Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 Red Convertible
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Thanks guys! That is exactly what I needed. It goes down and açcross the bottom. Thanks for the pics too.
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

I think it worked ok. I needed something secure since ive got the main harness going through there, as well as a harness for the headlight relaya, and a 4 gauge wire going to an auxillary fuse box for the electric fan, headlights, and some other stuff.
Attachments
0624202222.jpg
0624202218.jpg
0624202217.jpg