LED Tail Lights

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Cavalier

LED Tail Lights

Post by Cavalier »

Has anyone done the conversiion to LED tail lights. In out 1965 Mustang, which is anything but stock, the tail lights are LED, and much brighter and easily seen. If completed, do the LED lights require a differnt type of flasher unit or anything else for the 1956 Thunderbird? Thanks.

Joe Johnston

Re: LED Tail Lights

Post by Joe Johnston »

I changed my 57 to LED using the style with many LEDs on a circuit board instead of just a single bulb and they are much brighter. The style I used is about $170 or so from most of our Thunderbird specific suppliers. I did not need to change the flasher on my car but I did retain the existing bulb in the front bumper. I am assuming this front bulb used enough current to allow the standard flasher to work. Changing the flasher is a simple job, so no problem if you would have to change it.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. J F K

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink

Cavalier

Post by Cavalier »

The wife selected the sunburst style and they run about $190 now. It's worth it if it makes the tail and brake lights noticable on the road. One variety exists involving drilling a hole to utilize the small light above the main tail light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duHoo1vGgg4

It seemed an inferior design and one has to modify the body even if it's hidden.

Cavalier

Post by Cavalier »

Upon attempting to install the setup today, the directions indicate you must change the flasher unit for the LED flashers to work. The directions didn't indicate anything about the front bulbs staying the same or working well with the new "flasher module" assembly which is very differnt than the flasher unit. Consequently, the change will happen later after further reading.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_thun ... -1956.html

paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I put one of those kits in my 56 and it really shows up the brake lights. I don't like the looks of the sunburst type LED's. They look funny on a Tbird in my estimation.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302