ignition coil placement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

ShirleyBird

ignition coil placement

Post by ShirleyBird »

I have seen some ignition coils placed on top of the AC compressor but mine is almost behind it new the distributor. where did they originally go?
Scott6T6

Re: ignition coil placement

Post by Scott6T6 »

If your Thunderbird was equipped with Air Conditioning, the ignition coil was mounted on top of the A/C compressor.
Standard mounting location of the ignition coil for Thunderbird's without A/C was on the face of the left cylinder head.
By 1967, the ignition coils on all Thunderbird's with or without A/C were relocated to the top of the intake manifold, to the left of distributor at 2:00.

In 1966, the FE engines installed in full size Ford's and Fairlane's without A/C, had the ignition coils relocated to the top of the intake manifold. However, the coil remained on the face of the left cylinder head on those 390/428 engines installed in Thunderbird's. Never been able to find the reason for that.
I've documented a number of late built, low mile original '66 T-bird's without A/C that have ignition coils mounted on front of the left cylinder head. One of those cars being an impeccable, 19,000 mile survivor with a build date of June 1st.
When I bought my '66 Town Landau (scheduled build date of June, 8th), the ignition coil was mounted on top of the intake manifold. I had reason to believe it had been moved at some point in the past, so I elected to install it on the front of the left cylinder head - where I believe it was probably mounted originally.
Attachments
P1010088.JPG
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

my 65 came with factory AC however it is located behind it, mine had a build date of April 15. i'm not sure if I should relocate it to the top or just leave it
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Well, if you want your ignition coil to be mounted in the "factory correct" location for a 1965 model, then you would need to relocate it to the top of the A/C compressor.

If you don't care about that, it will work just fine on top of the intake manifold.

Up to you!
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

I have wondered about the coil placement. I believe the original coils (and many replacements) are oil-filled. My understanding is that this type of coil should be mounted upright so that the windings are completely immersed. Epoxy-filled ones can be in any orientation.
Terry
64HT
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

image.jpg
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

If you should decide you want to move your ignition coil to it's proper location on top of the A/C compressor, you will need to locate the correct mounting bracket, which differs from the standard ignition coil mounting bracket.

Two different A/C compressors were supplied on Thunderbirds from the factory in '65. York and Tecumseh.
I can see you have the Tecumseh cast iron unit. I believe most '65 Thunderbird's came equipped with the Tecumseh compressor.
I believe the same ignition coil mounting bracket would work on either compressor.

I found this used one in the photo for $20 on eBay. Looks pretty clean. Here's the link;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-ford-thun ... SwhzhcBEzI
Attachments
1066 ignition coil mount bkt for ac car.jpg
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

great thank you