convertible top problem

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Jim Wulf

Re: convertible top problem

Post by Jim Wulf »

FlyAngry wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:53 pm Why is it every time I read the forum, my Thunderbird thinks, "Oh, what a great time to have that problem!"

I'm fairly certain my top issue is air in the hydraulic lines, specifically between the solenoids and the deck lid cylinders. Every so often, after the deck lid unlocks the hydraulic pump can be heard running, but there's not enough force in the hydraulics to get the deck lid to actually lift. When this has happened, I've been able to manually assist the deck lid up to access the trunk and pump. I top off the fluid, which usually doesn't take much, and the top cycles correctly for months on end. However, this last time, I topped off the fluid and the problem returned in less than a week. In addition, while the top was in motion, the deck lid sagged forward and nearly bound against the top. Fortunately, I was able to recover and get the top into a proper top up configuration. Overall, all switches and relays function properly and no hydraulic leaks are detected.

Most threads I've found on the forum recommend just cycling the system and it will self bleed, although this one talks about loosening some fittings and doing a more thorough bleed:
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... =bleed+top

My Question: Will cycling the top bleed air from the entire system, or is this more thorough procedure required to get air that might be between the solenoids and deck lid cylinders?

Thanks for your thoughts,

John
Yes, cycling the top will bleed the air from the entire system. Keep in mind that when checking and refilling, the top must be in the raised position, and the pump plug must be loose to allow air to escape during the cycling process. It's best to not cycle the top more than 2-3 times in a 15-20 minute period in order to allow the pump motor to cool down. I typically need to cycle the top 10-15 times total in order to bleed all the air from an empty system and I have better success cycling over a two or three day period. I think the extended time period allows tiny entrained air bubbles to consolidate and bleed out more effectively. This procedure is assuming there is no fluid in the system - to just remove suspected air from a system that has already been filled, the number of cycles needed will be fewer.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
FlyAngry

Post by FlyAngry »

Thank you Jim. I'll give your method a try. Sometimes it's the little steps that make all the difference.

JP
1962 Sport Roadster, '62 Caliber'
VTCI #12717
FlyAngry

Post by FlyAngry »

Allow me to do my best Alan Tast impersonation. "Buy the shop manual. The search function in the forum is your friend."

Searching the forum revealed this thread https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... =bleed+top which includes a link from another guru, Mr. Jim Wulf, for a top filling/bleeding tool. I'm only working on one car, so buying one may have been overkill. But this tool makes the job foolproof.

I called the seller to clarify a few things. For the best results, he suggested putting the fill port plug in when the top is up and the deck lid closed. Assuming you trust someone else and your top system to let you out of the trunk afterwards!

Hoping to make it to a VTCI event one day and meet Mr Tast and Mr Wulf.

John
VTCI #12717
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

FlyAngry wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:17 pm Allow me to do my best Alan Tast impersonation. "Buy the shop manual. The search function in the forum is your friend."

Searching the forum revealed this thread https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... =bleed+top which includes a link from another guru, Mr. Jim Wulf, for a top filling/bleeding tool. I'm only working on one car, so buying one may have been overkill. But this tool makes the job foolproof.

I called the seller to clarify a few things. For the best results, he suggested putting the fill port plug in when the top is up and the deck lid closed. Assuming you trust someone else and your top system to let you out of the trunk afterwards!

Hoping to make it to a VTCI event one day and meet Mr Tast and Mr Wulf.

John
How do you install the fill plug when the deck lid is closed? :???: Have to ask...assume that was a typo and that you meant deck lid open.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

In very simple terms, for a 64-66 it is quite simple thru the rear seat area, but in a 61-63, you need to use the FANTASTIC VOYAGE, starring Raquel Welch, method. Super miniature technology. Mind you, nothing involving Raquel is small, or reduced in size.
I would think it was a typo Alan.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
FlyAngry

Post by FlyAngry »

For clarity, I was talking about the process of removing the tool at the end of the process and putting the screw cap back in.

Not a typo. He literally suggested being in the trunk and having someone close the deck lid on top of you. Then remove the fill tube and install the screw cap. Again, lots of trust in both your buddy operating the switch and the reliability of your top system to then get out. Unless you've installed a remote switch.

The written directions for the tool says the deck lid should be nearly closed. Basically, just open enough to reach in and install the screw cap.

JP
VTCI #12717
Royce Richmond

Post by Royce Richmond »

One more thing I found when I took out the deck down relay. The small grounding tab that goes from the connector plate and is soldered to the relay case was cracked and would make connection only part time. That's why the top worked sometimes and sometimes not.
Royce