63 Thunderbird Hardtop A/C Removal

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

63Blackbird

63 Thunderbird Hardtop A/C Removal

Post by 63Blackbird »

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has instructions for removing the A/C, heater core, and controls from under the dash? Any info would be appreciated!
Thank You!

Gagarin

Re: 63 Thunderbird Hardtop A/C Removal

Post by Gagarin »

Most everyone on this Forum, including myself will advise that you buy the Electrical and Body Assy manuals. Two years ago I heeded this advice and it saved me a lot of heartache. I replaced mine (Heater core / AC) with an aftermarket unit which is sacrilege to some but my heater core was shot and I live on the gulf coast so I needed a more efficient AC unit. That said, you need to remove the RH dash panel and that puts everything in front of you.

Here are a couple of links which may help with getting to it?
https://tbird-dash.carswithfins.com/
http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... 1cde997888
Macs or Bird Nest have the manuals

I did some other searches on this forum but came up empty. You can do a search on YouTube and you come up with someone who posted a video of the HC removal after the job was done, completely useless but it will show you the lower RH dash removed?
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150

doubleload

Post by doubleload »

Just got over the heater core removal. Remove the lower right hand vinyl covered trim piece from the dash, then remove the decorative trim. Behind the decorative trim is the stamped metal inner dash support section. Remove this inner support. At this point, you should be looking directly at the under dash ducting system and a cover panel secured by 2 or 3 screws. Remove this panel and there’s the heater core.
There’s plenty of trim to remove, so it will take patience (something I don’t have an abundance of). Good luck.
I didn’t need to remove the AC evaporator. Found out an interesting piece of info about the Ac system. The Bird has an actual expansion valve that is compatible with R134. If you need to dig into the AC system, contact Classic Auto Air . They have everything you need and are very willing to advise and educate us amateurs.

63Blackbird

Post by 63Blackbird »

Thank you for the help! I went ahead and removed the whole dash. After that the AC and heater box were a breeze. Unfortunately after taking everything out I removed the cowl and looked down in the vent area. Its loaded with rust and holes. I am not planning on installing ac or heat in this car. I am going to remove the fresh air vents and Im pretty lost after that? I really don’t wanna rip the whole car apart. Anybody ever put their own cowl vent box in?