Belt weatherstrip problem

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Lasse

Belt weatherstrip problem

Post by Lasse »

Does anybody know where the thicker part of the belt weatherstrip on the outside of the door goes? Front or rear of the door? The car is a 1966 Convertible. I am asking because my sidewindow seems to be binding at the last bit on the way up. I have installed it with the thicker part in the front.
The car has been repainted so both weatherstrips are off. Should ofcourse have noted down how it was....but you know, never learn......
I also wonder if anyone knows why this thicker bit is there? I mean, the window and the opening is quite uniform all the way..... So I don't really understand the function?

I tried to include an image of it, but the imagesymbol here in the forum only returns this: Image

Lars Olav Lofthus
Bergen - Norway
cacockrum

Re: Belt weatherstrip problem

Post by cacockrum »

Sorry for the belated reply. As I understand your question, you are asking about the location of the 7-inch-long “cat whisker” portion of the front door outside belt weatherstrip. If that’s correct, the “cat whisker” portion is at the rear end of the door. Perhaps its purpose is to keep the window from rattling when it is down.
Lasse

Re: Belt weatherstrip problem

Post by Lasse »

Thanks! Yeah, a friend of mine with a 1965 also pointed that it should be at the rear. Guess that will solve my problem.