Instrument Light Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

HDMick

Instrument Light Question

Post by HDMick »

Hi,

I am having issues with my speedo and clock instrument lights and hope someone can give me some advice on how to correct the problem.

I recently bought my 1962 T-Bird and none of gauge lights worked. Thanks to a previous post on this site I was able to determined the in-line fuse had blown and I replaced it.

Now the fuel/temperature gauge is illuminated but not the speedo and clock. I checked the bulbs in those two gauges and replaced them but they still don’t work.

If anyone has any suggestions I would very much appreciate your input, Thanks.
Alan H. Tast

Re: Instrument Light Question

Post by Alan H. Tast »

My advice? I hate to sound curt, but Bite the bullet and get a copy of the factory shop manual and electrical assembly manual, then study the schematics before proceeding further. Chances are you haven't grounded out the socket properly or there may be a broken wire somewhere in the circuit that you'll need to trace down.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

HDMick wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:42 pm Hi,

I am having issues with my speedo and clock instrument lights and hope someone can give me some advice on how to correct the problem.

I recently bought my 1962 T-Bird and none of gauge lights worked. Thanks to a previous post on this site I was able to determined the in-line fuse had blown and I replaced it.

<SNIP>
HDMick, that's the first I've seen / heard of an in-line fuse - can you please tell me, where is it PHYSICALLY located? (I'm sure it's on the wiring schematic, but that won't help me lol!)
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I bought a laminated, color wiring schematic for my car. It's so easy to use and follow!
I highly recommend one even after you get a manual.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-1962-Ford ... SwgyxWXcek

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Gagarin

Post by Gagarin »

Alan H. Tast wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:06 pm My advice? I hate to sound curt, but Bite the bullet and get a copy of the factory shop manual and electrical assembly manual, then study the schematics before proceeding further. Chances are you haven't grounded out the socket properly or there may be a broken wire somewhere in the circuit that you'll need to trace down.
I agree with Mr. Tast, I pulled my dash a few months ago and in re-assembly I am trying to hunt down a few electrical gremlins as well. I bought both the electrical and body assy manual as well as the shop manual and have them all laid out on my boot for reference and I use them interchangeably.

The laminated and color coded schematic sounds like a great idea but I think that I personally am "Hopefully" past the need. Invest a few $$ to save a lot of time and in my case, frustration.
Good Luck
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150