Tag Light

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

stevegintn

Tag Light

Post by stevegintn »

Can anybody tell me if there is a factory tag (license plate) light for a 62? (quick search here found nothing)

I looked at my car, and didn't see one ... sat in a local court yesterday, and saw/heard people cited for lack thereof (state law here).

I wonder if I will have a engineer one, to escape a ticket?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
VTTBird

Re: Tag Light

Post by VTTBird »

There are two "tag lights" on the '62. They are located in the upper corners of the bumper opening for the license plate. They are described in the shop manual pages 10-4 and 10-5 with an illustration and take a #67 bulb. Sponsoring vendors have reproductions available. I've included a photo with the light locations circled in red. They are mounted behind the bumper and not generally visible from outside the car unless you get right down on the ground and look under there...a flashlight will help.
DSC_1925 plate light.jpg
Ken
1962 Thunderbird Hardtop
VTCI # 12645
jrbudwig

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello,

Further to Ken's response not sure if you have a copy, however please see the following from the "1962 Thunderbird ELECTRICAL Assembly Manual" that is reproduced by Jim Osborn Reproductions, document number "AM0093."

This is an excellent resource in addition to the "1962 Thunderbird BODY/INTERIOR Assembly Manual", document number AM0091, both of which are excellent resources to have at hand for these types of details.

Hope this is of assistance.

All the Best,

Jonathan
Attachments
FordDrawingLicensePlate_JScott11212019.jpg
jrbudwig

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello,

Further to Ken's response not sure if you have a copy, however please see the following from the "1962 Thunderbird ELECTRICAL Assembly Manual" that is reproduced by Jim Osborn Reproductions, document number "AM0093."

This is an excellent resource in addition to the "1962 Thunderbird BODY/INTERIOR Assembly Manual", document number AM0091, both of which are excellent resources to have at hand for these types of details.

Hope this is of assistance.

All the Best,

Jonathan
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Many thanks, Ken & Jonathan!

I have the 62 Shop Manual and an E-Assembly manual for the 61, so I will take a look at those.

Steve G.
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
robbar1

Post by robbar1 »

I just replaced the bulbs in mine as one went out. There are 2 hex bolts in the corners (after removing license plate) that release the light brackets. I am glad I did as they had a little bit of rust starting to accumulate. Car has is quite clean rust wise, but that is not a place you would normally look. Anyway, wire brushed them and put Ospho solution on brackets and behind where they bolted.
All the Best,
Rob
62 Thunderbird Sport Roadster #1427 of 1427

Email marketing with GetResponse. Twitter, blog updates, video and more! http://www.getresponse.com/index/robbar1