Carburetor thoughts - rebuild or replace

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

pucknell

Re: Carburetor thoughts - rebuild or replace

Post by pucknell »

I had troubles with my 1966 autolite. rebuilt twice. still wasn't great.
If you know someone who's an expert with old carbs, have it rebuilt.
Otherwise get a Holly 600.
My car now starts easily and hasn't given me any issues.
dmtinker

Post by dmtinker »

RedBird64 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:14 am My thoughts on this matter have changed over the years. Now, I feel that if you're going to stay with a carb, I would get the original professionally rebuilt (not just a kit).

Scott
I watched a video on rebuilding the 4100 and it doesn't seem that hard (not counting adjustment). I'm not sure if there are any decent places to get mine rebuilt in Dallas.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

dmtinker wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:41 am I watched a video on rebuilding the 4100 and it doesn't seem that hard (not counting adjustment). I'm not sure if there are any decent places to get mine rebuilt in Dallas.
I would think Dallas would be one of the easiest places to find a rebuilder. In fact, a quick search brings up tons.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=carburetor+rebuilder+dallas+texas

~Steve
dmtinker

Post by dmtinker »

I did a Google search and only got repair shops...
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

dmtinker wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:56 am I did a Google search and only got repair shops...
My quick search turned up this guy: https://www.hirerush.com/service/classi ... ice_i31577

From his ad: "I can rebuild your classic car carb or race car carb and get it back to running like new again. I rebuild everything from 1bbl Carter up to Holley Dominator carbs for race cars...I have been rebuilding carbs for over 20 years. I am not a "fly by night" operation, I rent space and specialize in carburetor rebuilds. My company is Dallas Customs & Classics, LLC. I also do Vintage Air installation and disc brake conversions."
dmtinker

Post by dmtinker »

pucknell wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:51 am I had troubles with my 1966 autolite. rebuilt twice. still wasn't great.
Which model did you get?
DakotaLee

Post by DakotaLee »

dmtinker wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:34 pm
pucknell wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:51 am I had troubles with my 1966 autolite. rebuilt twice. still wasn't great.
Which model did you get?
I think he's referring to the Holley 4160 600 CFM

That's what I have, love it!
'66 Town Hardtop
SoCal
loud41

Post by loud41 »

So the autolite 4100 was a great carburetor for it's time, but times have changed dramatically since those carburetors were new. If you're going for originality for originality's sake, rebuild it! It's a decent enough carburetor for what it is.

However, I just swapped to Edelbrock's AVS2 and that carburetor has completely transformed my car. Not only has my gas mileage improved, but its responsiveness and overall performance has noticeably improved as well. It is a seriously great cruising carburetor. What's great is it can almost literally be bolted on and you're good to go with very minor adjustments. Also, the stock air cleaner totally fits, so no need for changes there either. If you're thinking about a new carburetor, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the new AVS2!!!
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

I agree with loud41, unless you are striving for complete originality, get a new carb. Anything out there is bound to be better than a 4100. After all, that carb was designed in the 50's and a lot has changed since then. I've been using an Edelbrock 1406 for 12 or 14 years now and have never touched it. As far as arguments about electric chokes go, I find it hard to believe that there will be enough variation in the temperature of the exhaust gas sucked up through a little tube to change the tension on a bimetallic spring. Once it's hot, it will stay hot and the choke won't move.
Just my thoughts, I'm not an expert on this
Terry
64HT
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Not to be a contrarian about the old Autolite 4100, but Holley actually took the designs and started making their own versions in the 1990s and named them 4010 and 4011 carburetors. These are now sold new as Summit carburetors.

The Holley 4150 or 4160 advantage is more adjust-ability, but if you just want to pull it out of the box and run it, then that really is not an advantage.

Personally, the only carb I've had good results with just pulling it out of the box and running it was a NOS Autolite 4100 I found at a swap meet 30 years ago. I haven't seen one since.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
dmtinker

Post by dmtinker »

I'm looking for something I can buy off the shelf now. I'm not so interested in being 'stock' as I am drivability.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

I really liked my out of the box Edelbrock, but it did require some jet and rod adjustments to dial it in.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get this Holley to work right.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

If you need a carb let me know. I've got an assortment of edelbrock and holley carbs I'm in the process of rebuilding right now. I also have a brand new vaccuum secondary 650 cfm street brawler carb. That sat on my engine stand until I decided to go with the sniper EFI system.
losendos

Post by losendos »

loud41 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:15 am So the autolite 4100 was a great carburetor for it's time, but times have changed dramatically since those carburetors were new. If you're going for originality for originality's sake, rebuild it! It's a decent enough carburetor for what it is.

However, I just swapped to Edelbrock's AVS2 and that carburetor has completely transformed my car. Not only has my gas mileage improved, but its responsiveness and overall performance has noticeably improved as well. It is a seriously great cruising carburetor. What's great is it can almost literally be bolted on and you're good to go with very minor adjustments. Also, the stock air cleaner totally fits, so no need for changes there either. If you're thinking about a new carburetor, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the new AVS2!!!

After reading this, I looked into the AVS2 carbs, and now I'm thinking about it. Which model did you get - the 1906? What did you have to do to make it operable on the TBird? Things like throttle linkage, choke wiring, fuel & vacuum plumbing, etc. Thanks.
-Patrick
1966 Town Hardtop
VTCI #12691
Past Birds: 1986 Turbo Coupe 5-speed, 1965 Convertible
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

I went back to the 4100 on my 63. You can get one from rock auto cheap enough. Bolt it in place and be done with it. My 64 has the edelbrock from the po. It runs good but the air cleaner did not fit and other mods had to be made to make it work.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible