Spool Valve Centering?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Aaron65

Spool Valve Centering?

Post by Aaron65 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:17 am

Hello everyone,

As with any new old car, I'm working through the bugs on my '63. The steering is a little darty, like it's got a mind of its own. I've gotten the car aligned to my satisfaction, so I checked the effort needed to turn the wheel in each direction using a beam-style inch-pound torque wrench. It requires 20 in-lbs. to turn left and 28 in.-lbs. to the right.

I've looked at the manual, and while the adjustment looks simple enough, getting to it does not, as it's really shoved against the spring tower. Any tips or tricks? When I face the front of the car as if I am looking under the hood, which direction would I turn the adjuster to even things out? The manual is a little vague on this. Any wisdom would be helpful here...thanks!

Aaron
1963 T-Bird Hardtop
1965 Mustang
1965 Skylark
1965 Corvair Monza
1965 Dodge Dart wagon
1953 Buick Special Riviera
1974 Firebird Esprit

jcbird

Re: Spool Valve Centering?

Post by jcbird » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:57 pm

You mentioned that the steering is a little "darty". Does the steering wheel turn on it's own when you start the vehicle? If it does that is a classic sign of the need for a rebuild. Maybe others could chime in but my attempts to adjust the valve spool completely failed. It is a finicky adjustment. There is a company called Lares Corp in Minnesota who do excellent work. They are able to adjust the box while it is under pressure which is impossible for us to do at home. The rebuild I received from them is still good 10 years later. Hope this helps.

Aaron65

Post by Aaron65 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:20 pm

It does not turn on its own when I start the car, but it does react very quickly upon initial right turns. On the highway, I have to be pretty careful when following a right hand curve, because it will shift right as soon as the steering wheel passes the center.
1963 T-Bird Hardtop
1965 Mustang
1965 Skylark
1965 Corvair Monza
1965 Dodge Dart wagon
1953 Buick Special Riviera
1974 Firebird Esprit

jcbird

Post by jcbird » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:31 pm

Once upon a time I tried to adjust the valve spool and was able to get a wrench and socket to the lock nut and adjusting nut. It is very tight but it is accessible. The problem was every time I made an adjustment one way or the other the steering wheel would turn violently when I started the car. That was why I sent mine to Lares. It came back perfect. I've always been curious if others have tried to make these adjustments, especially the valve spool.