Throttle Stop Issues

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

stevegintn

Re: Throttle Stop Issues

Post by stevegintn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Jim Wulf wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:52 pm

Well, your engine rebuilder sure didn't do you any favors when he reassembled the linkage. Good grief!

I will tell you that the throttle spring bracket, throttle stop bumper, and throttle stop bracket are very difficult to reach and install. The stop bracket may prove to be especially frustrating since it's installed on the bell housing and the bolt (one of the bell housing bolts) is inserted from the rear. We're not sure that this was omitted during the reassembly, but I think it's very probable given the rest of the linkage issues.
[/quote]

Jim, while I'm waiting for the other parts, I went out to try to get the hard part done (throttle return spring & throttle stop brackets).

You were right - the throttle stop bracket is a problem.

I was able to easily install the throttle return spring bracket. For the stop bracket, I cannot get the bolt broken loose (have sprayed with PB Blaster, so that might help?)

A couple more questions: Looking at the photos, you can see the throttle stop bracket and rubber bumper. Photo A (I believe from Karl?) shows the location of the stop bracket & bumper (although missing some components?). Photo B shows the bolt thru the bell housing that I cannot get out, and the location of where MY stop bracket will go. Finally, Photo C is the one YOU shared above.

Note that from MY photo B, I do not have the shiny lever that's connected to your stop bracket (photo C) - what is it?
throttlestop_bracket.jpg
throttlestop_missing.jpg
kickdown.jpg
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'02 Sportrac 4x4
'49 Ford 8N

tbird

Post by tbird » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:44 am

Steve

I think the shiny lever is really a boss on the bell housing casting with a hole in it. The tongue of Karls stop bracket is shown in photo "A" at the place it should be but the casting is broken at that point.

Hope that helps you.

Jim M
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars

stevegintn

Post by stevegintn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:15 am

tbird wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:44 am
Steve

I think the shiny lever is really a boss on the bell housing casting with a hole in it. The tongue of Karls stop bracket is shown in photo "A" at the place it should be but the casting is broken at that point.

Hope that helps you.

Jim M
OK, but my point is, I am missing that 'boss' - is it something I should have (maybe for the kickdown to work)?

Also, in the event I cannot get the stop bracket bolt out, can I live without it (the throttle stop bracket & button)?

Thanks,
Steve G.
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'02 Sportrac 4x4
'49 Ford 8N

tbird

Post by tbird » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:54 pm

Steve
If you have a broken boss like Karl appears to have it likely will not make any difference to the operation. The purpose of the boss and the bracket tang that goes into it is to assure that it is installed correctly, If it is placed on the correct bell housing bolt and the tab end is at the correct missing boss location tighten up the bolt and the bracket should not move.

The brackets purpose is have the throttle stop rubber bump against it when the accelerator it almost wide open. When the rubber hits the stop it tips the linkage over and allows the carb to be opened to full throttle and the C.O.M. transmission to drop into passing gear. When the throttle bump stop bracket or bumper is not in place you will not be able to open the secondaries to full throttle or down shift the transmission for faster acceleration
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars

stevegintn

Post by stevegintn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:09 pm

tbird wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:54 pm
Steve
If you have a broken boss like Karl appears to have it likely will not make any difference to the operation. The purpose of the boss and the bracket tang that goes into it is to assure that it is installed correctly, If it is placed on the correct bell housing bolt and the tab end is at the correct missing boss location tighten up the bolt and the bracket should not move.

The brackets purpose is have the throttle stop rubber bump against it when the accelerator it almost wide open. When the rubber hits the stop it tips the linkage over and allows the carb to be opened to full throttle and the C.O.M. transmission to drop into passing gear. When the throttle bump stop bracket or bumper is not in place you will not be able to open the secondaries to full throttle or down shift the transmission for faster acceleration
Thanks, again Jim - to reclarify, I don't have a broken boss - mine is GONE (I assume, it's a factory part?). So, I am hoping I can get the bell housing bolt OUT, and the bracket will not move.

Failing that, and I am unable to install the throttle stop bracket & bumper, sounds like I can live without it? (I am not likely to be doing any pedal-to-the metal accelerating? Lol!)

I now have all the parts needed - thanks again for your help. Now all I need is this weather to cooperate, so I can try to put the puzzle back together?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'02 Sportrac 4x4
'49 Ford 8N