Autolite Carb replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

CliffC

Autolite Carb replacement

Post by CliffC » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:23 am

My 1956 has the 312. It has the Ford carb but it needs a lot of work. I heard this carb is not very reliable so I was thinking of going to an Edelbrock. I can get one from my local supplier with the adapter plate. My problem is it makes the air cleaner unusable. It is too high plus the linkage doesn't clear. I haven't yet run the car so I don't know firsthand how the Ford carb performs. My first question is should I just rebuild what I have or is it better to go to a different carb? If I switch what can I go to and still use the air cleaner?

adg57

Re: Autolite Carb replacement

Post by adg57 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:25 pm

The stock Holley 4000 IS reliable IF it is rebuilt & set up correctly. I rebuilt it myself (mistake), but learned a lot along the way. Key components to replace are the Power Valve and Accelerator pump (the little BB is especially temperamental). Seems like the carb manual is downloadable on-line.
Car does everything well, but still starts hard. Runs better with ethanol-free gas.
Suspect either path will have some frustration. If the car is to be a daily driver, might make sense to use a modern carb. Mine is mostly saved for sunny days & teaching my grandkids how to polish chrome :).
Good luck.
Andy
1956 312

paul2748

Re: Autolite Carb replacement

Post by paul2748 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:45 pm

The factory 56 air cleaner will not work with a later carb.

The tea pots, as the original carbs were called, are good running carbs but they must be rebuilt by some one who knows them. The average rebuilder has almost no clue working on them. Try Hill's or CASCO for rebuilding.

If you do go to an aftermarket carb, you have to use a 57 or later distributor as the vacuum signal from the later carb is not compatible to a stock 56 distributor.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302