1966 Interior Colors

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

1966Tbirdguy

1966 Interior Colors

Post by 1966Tbirdguy »

I'm getting ready to reupholster the interior in my 1966 Tbird but I'm having a diificult time trying to do a color match. The trim code on the door is K8 and according to my Ford manual the trim should be gold and parchment. The interior is acuatually done in 4 colors. The seats are done in 2 tone,parchment with trim and piping in a lite brown, gold I assume. The console and dash are med metallic ivy and the carpet is moss. I've tried several upholstery shops and they haven't been able to do a close enough match and cover sets I've seen do not come in two tone.

Any one out there with the same K8 trim code that have redone thier interior and were successful finding a supplier for vinyl color or colors that worked for you. I appreciate your help as I want to keep the color theme as original as possible.

Carlos
Alan H. Tast

K8 Interior

Post by Alan H. Tast »

One thing to keep in mind is that the K-series interiors were intentionally a two-tone, with Parchment being used for the seats and door/quarter panels and other accents, while the contrasting color (in your case Ivy Gold) was used for carpet, console/dash trim and other places. We have these listed in VTCI's '64-'66 Original Factory Specifications Manual.

You may have to resort to dying the vinyl parts in order to match, and the carpet can also be dyed as well to bring back the color. Check paint chip charts, especially a complete set of duPont chips, from 1966. If you have a good auto paint store in your area, chances are they will have these in the books and should be able to mix up a quart or so (and even put it in rattle cans). It also helps to take a good original sample in for matching as well. It will have a listing of interior colors and their code numbers. I confess I do have a set, but since I'm working heavy overtime right now I'm not able to readily access them.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
1966Tbirdguy

!966 Interior Colors

Post by 1966Tbirdguy »

Alan,

Thank you for such a quick responce. I have been told a may need to do some color matching as you have suggested and fortunatly we have a good auto paint supply house locally to mix some vinyl paint.

Is the VTI factory specification manually readilty available on-line of for purchace in hardcopy? If so can you please provide the proper contact information as I'd like to do some more homework before I move forward with my re-upholstery job. Again thanks!

Carlos
Alan H. Tast

64-66 Original Factory Specifications Manuals

Post by Alan H. Tast »

You'll need to go to VTCI's home page at http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.org and navigate through the Country Store link. There is a separate link to order Concours Books, which includes Vol.5 - 1964-1966 Original Factory Specifications.

Also see page 25 of the March-April 2004 Scoop (don't be fooled by the cover date, though) to order through the mail.

You must be a current VTCI member (otherwise the IRS gets real finnicky about sales to non-members, but that's another story) to order items from the Country Store. The order process is outlined as you go through the web pages if you're doing it on-line.

Terri: Can you put a link in the header of the Forum boards for the VTCI home page?
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

64-66 Original Factory Specifications Manuals

Post by Terri McNeill »

Hi Alan,
there is a link to the home webpage...........click on the VTCI logo in the left corner!

And because the secured e-commerce site is included/no charge from the OLM site provider there isn't a way to change it and make the navigation a bit better in the "Country Store". I actually can not add any more merchandise as I have reached my limit of 25 items!

[newburn] You can thank the printer for not changing the date on the last Scoop cover! He has the border layout (which includes the date) for the covers and I send him the photos to insert, he KNOWS about the mistake.
Terri McNeill, Past VTCI President, currently VTCI Publications Director, Member of VTCI, VTCI-PNWC and Chicagoland Thunderbirds
1966Tbirdguy

1966 Interior Colors

Post by 1966Tbirdguy »

Thanks again for the additional information. Don't worry aboout the IRS, I just renewed my membership online over the weekend and I am once again a bonified VTCI member!

Carlos