Need Recomendation for Insurance Carrier

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

stevegintn

Need Recomendation for Insurance Carrier

Post by stevegintn »

OK, guys - as I had started to finally drive her a little, I had my State Farm agent write me a basic policy a couple months ago for my '62.

Unfortunately, the rate was IMO too high ($367 for 6 months). That's actually more than I pay them for my daily-driver Ford truck.

My agent's explanation was the usual insurance double-speak. But he did say, if I got my car registered as an 'antique', it would go "way down."

So I did. But after he came out to re-inspect it, with photos and write-up to send to the state office in Nashville, he called me yesterday to say that they WOULD NOT WRITE THE POLICY, TIL IT WAS 'COMPLETELY RESTORED' (meaning, all the paint and body work done).

My current policy expires Dec 1, and I'm not likely to have all the 'beauty work' done by then.

Can somebody recommend a reliable insurance carrier? (I believe I saw where Hagerty does - anybody else?)
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
Joe Johnston

Re: Need Recomendation for Insurance Carrier

Post by Joe Johnston »

Just went through getting different insurance for my Thunderbirds a few months ago. Taylor, Haggerty, Grundy and several others will be found with a Google search and you can get an online quote. I changed to Haggerty (not the cheapest for me) because they had an agent close by (who also wanted to get me in the door and quote everything else too). Having a local agent was a plus for me. Read the fine print and make sure their exceptions meet your needs as for the amount of driving, type of registration, and secure overnight inside storage.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

I had State Farm classic car insurance for the last 3 years, replacement value insurance based on an independent appraisal. State Farm had very low rates as well. Called my agent last week to raise the value because of additional work on the auto plus considering inflation. I was told I was grandfathered in with my previous replacement value coverage, but if I increased the value they no longer offered replacement value based on a new appraisal. So I called Hagerty and bumped up the replacement value considerably. A new appraisal not required, just had to send them one picture of the car, and now I feel fully protected. Yes the rates are high but worth it to me to have peace of mind. As I understand it they can help locate parts if the car is damaged. I might shop around for better rates later but for me it is more about the coverage and no haggle in the future regarding value if I suffer a total loss.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
KMcoldcars

Post by KMcoldcars »

I have my 1962 T-bird and 3 Corvettes insured with the National Corvette Museum. I do not believe you need a Corvette to get insurance.
877-678-7626 or ncminsurance.com
Last edited by KMcoldcars on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1962 Thunderbird
1936 Packard convertible sedan
1991 Corvette, supercharged
2000 Corvette convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
Old guy having fun with cars and a lovely blonde lady.
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

I have Grundy on my 63 and 64. My cars are what I call
Drivers. Both convertibles covered at 20 each. Witch is
What I thought was reasonable and they had no issues
With that. I have USAA for home and my 3 regular cars.
My rates are also reasonable but I'm no kid anymore!
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Cliff Rankin wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:39 pm I have Grundy on my 63 and 64. My cars are what I call
Drivers. Both convertibles covered at 20 each. Witch is
What I thought was reasonable and they had no issues
With that. I have USAA for home and my 3 regular cars.
My rates are also reasonable but I'm no kid anymore!
Cliff, if you don't mind my asking, what is your premium, per vehicle? (mine with State Farm is $700/year for a $12k replacement value!)
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Cliff, if you don't mind my asking, what is your premium, per vehicle? (mine with State Farm is $700/year for a $12k replacement value!)
WOW :shock: :shock: I have Grundy with an agreed value of $14000, I pay $253 a year, and Michigan has some of the highest auto insurance rates in the country. good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
VTTBird

Post by VTTBird »

I have Hagerty for my 1962 hardtop. Agreed value of $20k. My annual premium is $183 plus $35 for the Hagerty Plus package for a total of $218/year.
I've had small claims on other vintage cars I've owned and never had a problem.

Ken
Ken
1962 Thunderbird Hardtop
VTCI # 12645
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

I use Hagerty for my '69.

18K agreed upon value, limited KM's per year (I recall under 5000, I never drive it more than 2000) and I pay $275 CDN.
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Thanks, Guys! - looks like Hagerty will be the Go-To? (if my State Farm blows me off)
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
jrfjr

Post by jrfjr »

I've been with Hagerty since 2002, and they've always been fine with me driving and enjoying my car - as long as the classic car wasn't my commuting vehicle, and my 'appliance' car was insured through a conventional insurance company.

A couple of months ago, my TR4A was stolen. The claim process was about as good as something like that could be. It took about 6 weeks to process the claim and issue the check (probably a week of that was due to my delay). From my experiences, I would recommend Hagerty to anyone needing classic car insurance. GL, and YMMV! Jim
Jim
'63 Landau, Corinthian White w/white vinyl top, red interior
VTCI #12527
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

jrfjr wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:43 am I've been with Hagerty since 2002, and they've always been fine with me driving and enjoying my car - as long as the classic car wasn't my commuting vehicle, and my 'appliance' car was insured through a conventional insurance company.

A couple of months ago, my TR4A was stolen. The claim process was about as good as something like that could be. It took about 6 weeks to process the claim and issue the check (probably a week of that was due to my delay). From my experiences, I would recommend Hagerty to anyone needing classic car insurance. GL, and YMMV! Jim
Thanks, Jim! - and sorry about your TR4A - it's hard to imagine, a classic car could stay hidden for too long?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
GeoffInCarlsbad

Post by GeoffInCarlsbad »

Hagerty family here....
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
1961 T-Bird Convertible (in progress)
Love it! ::?
krave

Post by krave »

I use AAA
63flip

Post by 63flip »

I have all 3 of my Birds insured with American Modern. They're Geico's collector car division. All 3 have agreed value coverage. My premium every 6 mo. Is just over $300. I have my 63' conv. insured for $36,000, my 02' for $17,000, and my 63" Principality of Monaco (under restoration) for $6,000. I had to submit pics of all 3 cars. They wanted shots of all 4 sides, interior, and engine compartment. The policy allows me to drive the cars for recreation, shows, and club events. Basically as long as they're not used as daily drivers.
I've had 2 claims with them and both experiences were positive. The customer service was top notch and both claims were handled. One was a total loss on a '63 conv. and the second was for a windshield in my new 63" conv.