Resetting Check engine light on Instrumentation cluster

This area is for posting questions/information concerning the newest generation year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: VicRattlehead

jamit793

Resetting Check engine light on Instrumentation cluster

Post by jamit793 »

My instrumentation cluster check engine light came on. I took it to Advance Auto and had them check the car out. Their code reader indicated there were three bad coil packs. So, I ordered and replaced all 8 coil packs and replaced them. The car is running fine and I want to reset the check engine light on the instrumentation cluster.

Short of disconnecting the batter for 5 minutes is there another way?
55Greg&Amy

Re: Resetting Check engine light on Instrumentation cluster

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

2 ways to reset the light: disconnect the battery or hook the engine scanner back up and clear the codes with the scanner.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

In time the light will reset itself after it has determined everything is o k.
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
vince

Post by vince »

If you choose to disconnect the battery, disconnect the negative terminal only.

There is a TSB calling for replacing the coil cover plates. Seems the old design was prone to letting moisture seep into the spark plug tubes and causes the coils to fail prematurely. If you are not the original owner you may not know if they have been replaced. You can remove one of the covers and look at the part number. The TSB will list the new part number or you can call a Ford dealer and give them the part number you have and they can tell you which vintage you have.
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress