constant voltage regulator location

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

cmcclean

constant voltage regulator location

Post by cmcclean »

This may be a newbie question but, where the heck is the constant voltage regulator location? As well the radio choke suppressor? I'm sure some of you have guessed my fuel and temp gauge are erratic in unison. Not bad but I never know if I am about to run out of gas and overheat.
RAVEN

Re: constant voltage regulator location

Post by RAVEN »

We would gladly help but more info is needed.
What year is car and Generator or Altenator?
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

CMCClean. The constant voltage regulator is behind the clock. You can see it from under the dash but the easiest way to access it is behind the clock. The clock can be removed by a couple screws. Below is a photo of the unit and the radio suppressor. The constant voltage regulator is the green item and the radio suppressor is that little white cylinder attached to the bottom of the suppressor. You can find replacements for the regulator at the Tbird vendors or NAPA. I was not able to find a radio suppressor vendor. The regulator reduces the voltage from 12 volt to 5 volt to run the 2 gauges. If you want to test out the gauges to see if they are working you can hook up 3 D Cell batteries in series to give 4.5 volts and that should move the dials. You can tap into the wire from the regulator and connect the other end of the cells to ground or do the same thing at the gauge location. The fuel temp gauge is a little more difficult to remove since it has a multitude of lights in the unit that need to be pulled out. Taking it out is not too tough. Putting them back in since some have short wires is a little more challenging.

Photo from a parts car.

MN63Tbird
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Unless you are an absolute purist, you can make a solid state instrument voltage regulator (I find it an oxymoron to call them constant as they are as far from constant as you can get and that is why the choke is there) for a few dollars. I have some instructions here: http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... =32&t=9524
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978
cmcclean

Post by cmcclean »

Sorry about that it's a 62 with a generator. Totally unmoified.
Behind the clock, perfect.
The shop manual does everything but tell you where it is...
Thanks for the help. Hopefully its just a bad ground.
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Thanks for the help. Hopefully its just a bad ground.
These devices are notorious for failing due to burned/corroded contacts or a burned out coil. Since the output is a pulse from 0 to 12V you can only see it work with an analog voltmeter. I suggest opening the can up to see what it looks like inside. JMHO. Good luck.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
cmcclean

Post by cmcclean »

Yah, I'll crack it open if the ground is not the obvious fault. If its too ugly inside I will probibly follow those instructions for making it a solid state.
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Very good. I hope you find the problem. The replacement conventional IVR's are fairly expensive, which is why I suggested the LM7805.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
cmcclean

Post by cmcclean »

Thank you all for the help.
cmcclean

Post by cmcclean »

More dependable and inexpensive. I'm all for that!
cmcclean

Post by cmcclean »

So if anybody is following this. I opened up the regulator and the contact was pretty dirty. Cleaned it up and reassembled. Its better but still not right. I think I will follow the instructions and upgrade with the Radio shack parts. Will I still have to use the radio choke suppressor?
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

I wasn't able to find a replacement for the radio suppressor. It looked like a coil of copper wire with insulation around it. When I reinstalled it with the new regulator the old one sort of fried. I hooked up the regulator without it. I have not noticed much difference with the original AM radio but these days there are not many stations that play anything good any more and those that do play music have much less power than the old stations 50 yrs ago. They are difficult to pick up even if they are within 30 miles.

I run with an aftermarket radio almost all the time unless the car is to be judged. That radio sees no difference at all without the radio suppressor. On the rare occasions that the car is being judged it is easy to slip the aftermarket back under the right side of the dash, keep the wires hooked up and install the original radio with just taping into the power and front speakers lines. If done the drill enough that its less than 5 min to do.

MN63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
cmcclean

Post by cmcclean »

Good to know I could run it without it. I wondered if by going solid state it negated the need of the choke suppressor..
I saw a guy who took a small period correct suitcase and mounted a modern radio and speakers into it with a cigarette lighter plug for electricity. For shows the suitcase went in the trunk with the modern stuff facing away. I thought it was pretty trick and may do something like that myself.
Last edited by cmcclean on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
tbird

Post by tbird »

The choke is not needed on the electronic constant voltage regulator.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
jrfjr

Post by jrfjr »

cmcclean wrote:...I saw a guy who took a small period correct suitcase and mounted a modern radio and speakers into it with a cigarette lighter plug for electricity. For shows the suitcase went in the trunk with the modern stuff facing away. I thought it was pretty trick and may do something like that myself.
That's a great idea! Wish I would have thought of it.
Jim
'63 Landau, Corinthian White w/white vinyl top, red interior
VTCI #12527